Monday, November 24, 2014

We celebrate Chris's birthday early ...

Why DID we celebrate Chris's birthday an entire week early?!! Well, it so happens that Chris's birthday falls on Thanksgiving weekend each and every year. This year, I am taking Nana to Detroit and spending Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. Nothing unusual about that at all, because we have been invited and spent many Thanksgivings in Detroit in years past. But with our rather severe weather, I am not entirely certain of our return date and I didn't want to miss out having a special birthday celebration with Christopher, who will be ELEVEN on the 29th.

 The gifts were no surprise because, you see, we order on-line from the LEGO shop! So Christopher shopped through my LEGO magazines and picked out TWO models: "Battle on Saleucami" (what???) and "General Grievous' Wheel."


Christopher got right to work building these models under the very interested and curious eyes of his brother, Matthew. 
And Christopher (bless your heart!) even LET Matthew build the smaller model! Matthew was very pleased (he is an excellent model builder too).  
 Emma requested my little loom and made several beautiful potholders ...

 This is the finished WHEEL model … it works kind of like a transformer … but way too complicated for a NONbuilder like myself.

 Our Bible story was from Acts 19. We followed Paul to Ephesus where we learned about the seven sons of Sceva going around faking that they were able to cast out evil spirits using the name of Jesus. The children were appalled that someone would actually lie and claim to be a follower of Jesus but be a fake instead. And we also learned about the temple of Artemis (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) and how the Ephesians were lied to and told that her image had fallen from heaven. We met the silversmith who made a ton of money making images to look like the goddess Diana and how he tried to start a riot because Paul was telling people to turn away from idols to worship the True and Living God … such a great story! 

I pulled out my pictures from Ephesus and showed them the theatre and some of the ruins. It was so much fun to show them my scrapbook! The kiddos have followed these wonderful stories and have colored beautiful pictures during our teaching time.

We did some more dancing around The Beach House again this weekend. This is Ems dancing to "The Nutcracker Suite." She is a natural and graceful ballerina … I wish so badly she could take classes and dance in productions. She really has a heart for dance.


 The boys added some more art to my windows ...

 Matthew made a hot pad too!
Christopher really enjoyed playing with his LEGO models ... 


 I also got him some football PJ's. I THOUGHT I was purchasing the LIONS PJ bottom (a nice soft flannel), but it ends up that I actually purchased the COWBOYS (oh my!). However, the shirt is a LION shirt and it is just a T-shirt that can be worn any time, it isn't a PJ shirt. So, thankfully at least the shirt was correct!
I also baked Christopher some double-chocolate brownies … but I didn't take any pictures of us devouring them. 
The boys also made more bracelets with my Rainbow rubber band loom ... 

We really had a nice few hours together this weekend. We got to have another sleepover. It was Matthew's turn to pick the movie and he chose, "Rio." We also read another chapter in our Narnia series, "The Horse and his Boy" and are almost finished with it now. My heart is happiest when my grandchildren are near … so my heart was really happy this weekend!

No comments: