Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bloomin' butterflies ... a time for worship!

"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty!
The whole earth is filled with his glory!"

ISAIAH 6:3
A couple of longwings caught midflight!
Insects have never been my friends. I don't like them, and they don't like me! I have a very low tolerance for any creeping or flying thing ... but then how can I explain my love for butterflies? I think it's kind of like my taste buds completely and utterly rejecting green peas, but yet loving split pea soup! Very confusing ...
After my exercise class this morning, I had a two-hour window of opportunity to run over to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Scupture Park to see the "Butterflies are Blooming" exhibit before I had to drive out to Sparta for phase one of having the crown on my back molar installed. I've already told you of my total fear of anything dental ... I figured if I went and saw the butterflies FIRST, it would make my visit to the dentist more tolerable; and I was right!
Chrysalises from Central and South America, Asia and even Africa are sorted and inspected and then labeled in the Butterfly Bungalow (above).
"O LORD Almighty ...
You alone are God of all the kingdoms of the earth.
You alone created the heavens and the earth."

ISAIAH 37:16
Fortunately, it was a sunny afternoon. The butterflies flit and flutter around a lot if the sun
is shining ... people say on cloudy days, they hide and don't come out to play!
Above is a Common Rose (Pachliopta artisolochiae)
I was 100% happy the entire two hours I was visiting at the Gardens!
God speaks to me through His creation
and I am humbled and amazed at His unequaled artistry. . .
The temperature inside this exhibit is kept VERY warm,
almost like a sauna!
IT FELT GREAT!!
"O LORD, what a variety of things You have made!
In wisdom You have made them all.
The earth is FULL of Your creatures
..."
PSALM 104:24
The ferns and foilage were SO green ...
and the LORD painted the flowers in such dazzling colors ...
I heard some of the staff remarking that many of the varieties of butterflies
are yet to hatch, and as the months of March and then April
progress, there are more and more kinds to see!
I think I'm going to have to come back here again
after I get home from Texas!

Something else remarkable happened too ...
I spent 20 minutes in their amazing gift store
and walked out without spending one cent!
I think having to pay for that crown on my molar
might have had something to do with that small miracle ...



"Praise the LORD! Give thanks to the Lord;
for He is good!
His faithful love endures forever!
Who can list the glorious miracles of the LORD?

WHO CAN EVER PRAISE HIM HALF ENOUGH?"
PSALM 106:1-2

3 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Carol, I enjoyed your pictures of the butterflies. I like looking of pictures of them, but I don't like them to land on me! I also noticed that you changed the pictures of your grandchildren. I like them!

Thursday said...

My brother and his girlfriend were in town today and THEY also went to see the butterflies this afternoon. I haven't been for a few years, but the year I went I had a few membership to the Gardens and so I saw the butterflies 4 or 5 times. Gorgeous.

Sabrina said...

What great pictures of the butterflies mom and I'm sure that your visit there first made all the different in the dentists chair. Good job with not spending a cent at the gift shop.

Hey Thursday- did you say your brother and his girlfriend?!?!