Monday, March 10, 2008

A letter from Jesse ...

For reasons that I will not share with you (because they are personal) my heart has been extra heavy for Jesse and his family, especially in the last 24 hours or so. I tossed and turned last night and each time that I awoke, I lifted all of them up to the Lord. I asked our Kind Father (yes! that's what I am calling Him now!) to have special mercy on all of them, to reassure them of His love and care, and to somehow make it possible for Jesse to be able to communicate more regularly with those who love him back here at home. I was so burdened by my concern for all of them today that I couldn't even listen to music. That's one of the things that happens to me when I am really sad ~ I cannot tolerate the sound of music! And I am a person who constantly listens to it!

I haven't received a letter from Jesse since he was at boot camp over a year ago. I think we've all grown accustomed to e-mail and available internet, and so the art of letter-writing is quickly dying. When Jesse was in Baghdad, he had access to the internet and had an account through a company where we could talk back and forth and on a few occasions, we did that. But since he has been moved outside of Baghdad, he hasn't had those conveniences. For the past several months, I write him a letter every week and mail it out to him on Monday morning, snail-mail style. It's good therapy for me. I just tell him what's been going on in our lives during the week, share some Scripture with him, enclose a few pictures, and just to try to stay connected.

Sometimes in my letters to Jesse, I compare maps with him ~ present day maps versus a map of the region in Bible times. There is quite a lot of stuff that happened in the Bible that took place right where Jesse is. So I ask him questions about what he is seeing over there. I asked him in one of my letters if he had ever been as far north as Mosul because when you compare maps, Mosul is very close to where the Biblical Ninevah once stood ~ to see those ruins would be SO AMAZING! This is what Jesse tells me about Mosul: "Mosul, I cringe at the name ~ I have been there twice. I can understand your desire to see the ruins of Ninevah, but trust me, Mosul is NOT where anyone wants to be right now. I actually have a fair number of photos from my last trip up there." I have also asked him about desert life. He says he is most certainly in the desert and told me the other day they were trapped in a sand storm for three days not far from Tikrit. He says he sees plenty of sheep and lots of shepherds wandering around, but has yet to see a "green pasture." He says he is having some problems with his knees and has been prescribed medication and physical therapy for the pain. But all and all, Jesse sounded good and strong, and it was so wonderful to hear from him. I have always believed in prayer. But to receive this letter today from Jesse overwhelmed me at the kindness of my Father in heaven Who heard the cries of my heart throughout the night and answered ... I realize Jesse's letter is dated 26 February 2008 ~ but having it arrive today was a God-thing and I want to give Him praise and thanks!


And then just a few hours ago, the frosting on the cake! Diana called and had received a letter from Jesse too, full of words of love and comfort and reassurance ~ just exactly what I had asked for her! I even got to listen as Diana helped Emma do her homework, reading and handwriting, and then I had the longest telephone conversation ever with Emma! She is talking so much better! She told me all about her school, her new teacher and her friends. We talked about grandma's house and my toys that miss her. We talked about coming down to her house to see her. It was the best phone time I have ever had with her. I am just about bursting with happiness ~ tears of joy!
The high and lofty one who inhabits eternity,
(doesn't that phrase give you the chills?)
the Holy One, says this: 'I live in that
high and holy place with those whose spirits
are contrite and humble.
I refresh the humble and give NEW COURAGE
to those with repentant hearts ...
I will lead them and
COMFORT THOSE WHO MOURN.
Then words of praise will be on their lips.
May they have peace,
both near and far, for I will heal them all,"
says the LORD.
ISAIAH 56:15-19

5 comments:

Ruthanne said...

I'm so glad that you were able to hear from Jesse yesterday, Carol. It has to be so hard just not knowing how and what he is doing. I know it must be terribly hard on Diana and the kids, too. I will try to pray more regularly for him.

Mom Jones said...

Thanks, sis ~ your prayers would be very much appreciated for their entire family! :)

Thursday said...

Don't you just love how God is working out all the details even BEFORE we know what to ask for?

Sabrina said...

I am so glad that you heard from Jesse! Words can't describe how happy I am to hear that! I need to start writing him letters too since the internet thing isn't working right.

Unknown said...

So glad that God answered your requests in that way. I can't imagine how wonderful it was to receive his letter. It's always nice to be reminded how really there HE IS.