Monday, March 17, 2008

Grand Rapids to Rolla, Missouri

Have you ever even heard of Rolla, Missouri? Me either! But Mr. Jones and I are here for the night. I finally got him to pull off the interstate and stop driving. It seems to take forever to get out of the very long state of Illinois. There wasn't too much photo-worthy stuff along the way, and it seems like each time a photo opportunity came along, I missed it! I'm not very good at taking pictures out of a window of a moving van. I missed a really good picture of some cools bridges spanning the Des Planes River outside of Chicago. And I also was so amazed at the beauty of a large hawk sitting on a fence post that I completely forgot to take his picture!

We ran into quite a bit of rain this afternoon. Pouring rain. For about three hours. I didn't think we would get quite as far as St. Louis today, but we are actually about an hour beyond it. My pictures of the arch aren't the best ...

Crossing the Mighty Mississippi ... I like the beautiful bridges. Remember the first time we saw this in 2002 Sabrina?This is where we ate dinner tonight ~ a cute little home-cookin' kind of place. The special for the day was corned-beef and cabbage! Mr. Jones usually always cooks this meal at home for us on St. Patrick's Day, so we were happy to be able to eat our usual fare! :)
This is a fire we saw just a few minutes after getting back on the interstate after dinner. The fire engines were on their way, but I think this whole property was going to be a total loss. How sad ...
Well, we are one day closer to El Paso ... horray! We're tired tonight. I'm going to try to convince Mr. Jones to make it a lighter day tomorrow.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

I do remember crossing the mighty Mississippi in 2002 with you and going up in the arch. I am so sorry I had a bad attitude about going up- you were right it was completely worth it. Do you remember how high the water was when we went through?

Mom Jones said...

I don't remember you have a bad attitude, Sabrina! I remember us having lots of fun! :)

Diana said...

Oh you got great pics of the Arch. I was not ready when we drove in on our way here, I may have to borrow yours for the scrapbook (when that ever happens, lol). And I don't even remember the Mississippi. Those were some long days and short nights.

Sabrina said...

I remember lots of fun on our road trip together and how much I loved having you with me! Like when the garage door closed behind us in the parking garage and we had to drive up that steep incline with my manual transmission car... I gunned it and we laughed so hard. Or watching the last episode of friends in Oklahoma City while eating room service! I have so many great memories of our trip together.

Sabrina said...

And I agree with Diana- your pics of the arch are great.