Monday, March 10, 2008

Pyrex Implosion!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT ... our beautiful one quart pyrex casserole dish IMPLODED tonight upon our stove! Look, you can see for yourself! Mr. Jones says pyrex implosion is a total impossibility! I'll tell you what happened, and you be the judge! I was making a simple supper of cheeseburgers, loaded with sauteed onions, chips and dip, etc. and decided I'd best serve a vegetable for Mr. Jones. I sent him to the basement to pick something out from the pantry and told him he could even bring up a can of peas if that's what he wanted. I think I've mentioned my dislike of green peas before. To be more honest, I would have to say that I detest them. Everything about them is repulsive to me; and quite frankly, I haven't swallowed a green pea EVER without simultaneously gagging ~ even the smell of them cooking is distasteful! Well, Mr. Jones brought up his can of split peas and I emptied them into our nice pyrex dish, set them on the burner, turned it on to SIMMER and then went over to the adjacent counter area to prepare the plates. Just a few seconds later, I heard smashing glass and a loud crash! I turned my head and this is what I saw! I'm not kidding ... I didn't bump into it, drop it, have a fit of sudden pea hatred and smash it ... honest! It simply blew up! Mr. Jones called from the Family Room, wondering what I had broken NOW! Just yesterday, I used this same pyrex dish in the microwave to warm up leftover beef stew. After removing it from the microwave, I had transferred it to the stovetop and when I lifted up the lid, it was so HOT I dropped it smack dab on top of one of our prettiest dishes and the dish broke into a thousand pieces! Mr. Jones surmises that my hatred of peas has something to do with today's disaster. I have since cleaned up the whole mess, except some of those peas fell down into the abyss of my stove ... a fitting end to those nasty peas!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pretty sure but the one thing...ONE THING you cannot do with a pyrex dish is use it on the stove top...just to let you know.

Mom Jones said...

That's EXACTLY what your father said as he saw it lying there in a billion pieces ... (!)

Anonymous said...

IMPLODE: to burst inward. With the scatter of pieces around the scene, I don't think it burst inward!

Ruthanne said...

I think it is funny! I love the picture!

Anonymous said...

I just thought that it was funny that the one thing you cannot do with pyrex you did...I also think that it is werid that there is only one thing that cannot be done. you can drop it, kick it, throw it in a fire...but never put it on the stove top...

Sabrina said...

Oh my! That is nuts! I've never seen a pyrex do that before. I've seen them shatter when you drop them on the floor though.

JonesChronicles said...

Hi Mom. I confess that at one point in my baking history I decided to use a small pyrex dish to melt some butter on a burner. I knew that it probably wasn't the best idea to put it on the stovetop, but I didn't figure it would take "that" long. It also imploded (yes, burst inward to those who feel call to define--it like fell all over itself). Please tell Mr. Jones that canned peas are an abomination to the vegetable world. I even like peas, but canned ones! Disgusting!!

Mom Jones said...

That's exactly what it did, Rachel! It "fell all over itself!" It was so weird to see it laying there all absurd-looking! And I know I have used Pyrex on the burner at least once before with no bad results ... never again!