Friday, July 9, 2010

Back to Little Point Sable ...

Almost exactly one year ago, I spent the night with my cousins at a cottage on Lake Michigan here at Little Point Sable (near Silver Lake). My cousins grew up visiting this beautiful place each summer of their lives, so they have a lot of memories and history here.

I left Grand Rapids under bright blue skies and almost oppressive heat on Wednesday morning. I could see a line of billowing clouds to the north and wondered ...

About 15 miles from Silver Lake, I drove through hard pouring rain and arrived at eleven in the morning. From the time I walked through the door of the cottage, my cousins and I talked, screamed with laughter, reminisced ... and then it was 3:30 in the afternoon! The rain had stopped! We gathered our beach stuff and walked down narrow beach paths to Lake Michigan. The water was WARM!
Fog rolled in and enveloped the beach and at one point the lighthouse completely disappeared! We could hear the lonely and haunting sound of the fog horn up at Big Point Sable ... and it was DELICIOUS! That's when I strolled down the beach to try to capture the moment ...
I took hundreds of pictures here last year, some of which I like very much. I didn't do so well this time ... but I've posted some that turned out OK.

We swam in the lake until dinner and then I took another stroll ... hoping there would be a beautiful sunset to photograph. The sky was very interesting with all kinds of gorgeous clouds, but across the lake there were dark and heavy clouds approaching ... so NO sunset was to be seen!
"To You the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and LIGHT are both alike to You!" Psalm 139.11

"Because of the redemption Jesus provided for us in the darkness, we can live forever in God's LIGHT." Michael Card
I got up the next morning at 5:45 hoping to get some of that wonderful early morning light. I stepped out of the cottage to a light drizzle. Ah ... but I'm stubborn and thought perhaps it would pass ... it didn't! Instead, I got caught in a downpour and was wet through and through. I parked myself in the shelter of the narrow door of the lighthouse and sat down to wait out the rain ...
But I gave up after a half hour of sitting there all soaking wet and decided to just walk back to the cottage. I snapped just a few pictures on the way back. I didn't want to get my lens wet!
I needed to get back to Grand Rapids by mid-day, so after I had changed clothes and dried up a bit ~ AND the rain had stopped by this time ~ I took one final little walk down to the lighthouse. Everything was still drenched from the rain ...
But rain can't change or mitigate the beauty of this place ...


I left my dear cousins a note in the sand ...
took l-o-n-g last looks at the Light ...
the beach grass and delightful fences ...
and one very long last look at Lake Michigan ...

I'll see my cousins again, as well as many other family members this Saturday at our reunion in Detroit! I'm going to try really really hard to take photos of people's faces, even though I really hate taking pictures of people! We're going to my cousin Mary's place in Detroit. I hear she has an acre FULL of the most amazing flower gardens ... hopefully, the flowers won't drive me to distraction to where I forget to take family pictures!

No comments: