Saturday, September 23, 2023

September 22 Cleaning and Organizing!

Friday:  For a few weeks now, I've been working on sorting out old toys, books and art supplies. Emma moved out of the spare room (which used to be the Toy Room) into a house with friends of hers. I've been trying to decide what to do with that room--should I just use it as a toy room again--or should I put bunk beds back there and start having sleepovers with the little kiddos ... before they are all grown up and won't want to come over at all? I thought hard and long about it and decided to actually make that room into a second bedroom/toy storage, etc. So far, it's coming along pretty good! Ruthanne and Terry helped me paint it (well--they did all of it actually--I only taped around the window and woodwork). I decided to continue the nautical theme because I love it so much--so the paint color is called SAND DOLLAR--and it's really nice. The beds are ordered and should arrive Monday. I moved the toy shelves and toys back there--but I cleaned them and threw away stuff we haven't used in years. I also cleaned out both closets to use for storage. When you have a tiny place, it's important that every square inch is used to the maximum!

So then the main part of the house actually looks like a normal house once again. I forgot what it was like to have it look other than a pre-school room. Here are a few pictures:

I've never had my very own baby doll ... and Erin LOVES playing with dolls and changing their clothes and giving them bottles, etc. I have a few tiny dolls that she plays with, but I got to thinking that she would really enjoy a life-sized baby doll. This is JAMES. I named him that in honor of their Grandpa, who went to be with Jesus six years ago now. He was also called "Jimmy" and we will go back and forth with these names with this little doll. He came with his very own "stuffy" (a Hedgehog) and I've named him HENRY. The super fun thing is this: I saved a few newborn sleepers and outfits from when Jesse, Shane and Dylan were newborns. I've kept them all these years and they are still in good shape. James fits all of them! It will be so much fun to change his outfits and tell Erin about her dad and uncles when they were babies.

This is now the spare room--just one shot of it because it isn't finished yet. Once the beds are in, I'll take all of the angles of the room. I have further organized the toys and closets so that everything fits better.
Out in the main room, I moved the piano back against the wall, which opened up the window for a better view to bird watch. I even got a bird feeder that attaches right to the window. Yesterday, I had more chipmunks visiting me than birds! But it's very fun to watch them all eating and fighting (!!) outside.

The window seats are identical (other than the color) to my front room seats except these are brown instead of white. Terry and Ruthanne came over and assembled them yesterday. I would have had a difficult time doing it alone. I did assemble the white ones in the front room--but I think the hardware was easier to understand on those.
I also organized all of my piano music and put them in separate bins. There is something SO wonderful about organization! It just feels good.

No comments: