Saturday, February 17, 2024

February 15 with KT

Thursday:  Kaity and I finally CORRECTLY played a game of LIFE this afternoon at my house. We had completely neglected the PET cards during our two games last week! Today, we only played ONE game of LIFE and we followed the rules exactly. I've never been crazy about this game--mostly because of its focus on money--but this newer version of the game at least has interaction between the players--they name their pets, they choose their homes and careers, etc. The Action Cards are somewhat interactive and interesting--so there is at least value in that. 

I made Kaity's almost favorite meal of chicken and rice which was ready to eat when we walked through the door this afternoon. She was hungry and ate really well. I find that if I feed her right away, she eats less junk beforehand (if I catch her quickly enough before she makes it to the cupboard that has her favorite snacks), she eats her healthy meal more thoroughly.

We went to Altitude, which is our usual Thursday evening activity. We arrived at about 6:45. Kaity's friends were already there--ready and waiting for her. She said she had "run into" Allen and Alex while at school today, and they assured her they would be coming to Altitude that night. Ayden was already there too. "Blueberry" arrived a little bit later. I took a bunch of pictures of them "playing" and roughhousing ...

All of these pictures are of Ayden and Kaity. Her other friends were also playing the game they have made up of "cops and robbers" ...

Ayden plays this game with all of his heart. He is usually arrested for DUI's and resists the arresting officer  (Kaity), who attempts to cuff him and throw him in jail (the platform).
Ayden's protestations go on for quite a long time ...

The arresting officer does NOT give up ...






There is a LOT of laughing and horsing around and it's as funny as can be.

However ... there are several problems that have arisen from this game. I'm going to attempt to write all of this right here in this little unnoticed blog because I need to take responsibility for what is transpiring here. If it was just Kaity and Ayden playing the game, it could be controlled (mostly) and not get too out of hand. However, more and more children join in because they observe the fun and want to be included. Usually Allen and Alex do not take things too far--in other words, they CAN be subdued. But there is one friend who doesn't realize how rough he is. His nickname is "Blueberry", but his real name is Jase. He is not a big kid. He might be NINE, but he is slightly built. However, he knows a bit of Kung Foo and is really good at his kicking technique. He quite literally flies through the air and lands a kick with a lot of force. He isn't mean about it--but this is his way of getting a "criminal" down. I watched him land a kick right into Kaity's gut and one that landed on her chest. She was winded from it and in actual pain. Her face showed it!

This is not a good thing, nor should I ignore it. I didn't actually let it go without speaking to Jase. I kindly told him that he was "too rough", to "please be careful", that he was "kicking too hard", and words to that effect--which had actually NO effect on his kicking in reality. Besides, if you have ever heard my voice you KNOW it is not a very intimidating one.

Also worth mentioning is this: when I observe this "cops and robbers" game carefully, I notice several things:  (1) ALL of the kids involved in the game PUSH, SHOVE, YELL, pretend they have a lethal weapon, and do a pretty realistic job of pretending they are injured (whether they are or not).  (2) ALL of them run into each other at full force, knock each other down, jump on each other, etc.

If I didn't know these kids at all--in other words, if I was a casual attendant at Altitude and I was with my little kids and looked over and watched all of this happening, I would not want to bring my children back to this place. The game is too rough! The kids who are playing are too many to control. The pushing and shoving and yelling is too realistic. Some of the kids who play actually DO get hurt, even when it is unintentional. And none of them take any responsibility for being too rough. When I speak to Kaity about it, she blames "Blueberry" without ever realizing that she, too, is TOO ROUGH. If I could take a video and show what it looks like when she pushes someone from a platform and then jumps on top of them--perhaps she would see--but not likely; because she would tell me that she didn't hurt anyone! No one got injured!  

On one occasion while we were there tonight, one of the adult managers approached this little group of hooligans and very firmly stated that they had to STOP pushing, shoving ... attacking each other! He told them that safety was his concern and that there were park rules, and they were not following the rules, nor were they listening to him when he asked them to stop (as he claimed he had done twice that evening--I did not see this, as the "game" had traveled to a different part of the park where I couldn't see).

This was a wake-up call to me. Good grief. I sit on a close platform and observe these kiddos week after week. I ENJOY watching their fun, have always been squeamish about how rough they are, have often cautioned them to be careful--but I have not called them out, nor have I been very responsible about keeping the kids safe. You see, many of these kiddos are dropped off at Altitude, OR their parents are sitting way over to the side at the tables and are really not seeing what is going on. There have been occasions were one of the kids are "wounded" and the one who perpetrated the injury is very apologetic and feels terrible, etc. that they hurt their friend. But this truly is a disaster waiting to happen ... if not to their little group, to some innocent bystander. When I say that these kids are rough, I'm not even going in to detail the wrestling matches that go on ... all in a trampoline park that is supposed to be for people having fun on trampolines ... not half killing each other.

After a very restless night, I have concluded that I cannot just sit idly by (what a lame grandma) and allow these kids to get away with this unrestrained rowdiness any longer. Bottom line is that the "cops and robbers" game is NOT appropriate for a public park where families and little ones are just trying to jump on trampolines and have fun. It isn't safe. It's too rough!

I got on Altitude's web site the other night and watched their "safety videos" and felt really badly that I have been so negligent at helping the staff there rein in this little bunch of kiddos. Starting today, I am going to have a long and honest talk with Kaity, apologize to her for not doing a better job protecting the kids, and adhere to rules--or we just will not be able to go to Altitude any longer. My heart is heavy about it, but I know this is something that can no longer be tolerated--at least not on my watch.

Please help me, Lord, as an adult caregiver, to handle this situation in a way that is pleasing to You, helpful to the staff at Altitude, and resolves this issue for the kids.

No comments: