Thursday, September 13, 2007

E-I-E-I-O

The reason this day's post is titled, "E-I-E-I-O" is because we went to Old MacDonald's Farm! And we had so much fun. I took 157 pictures and Mr. Jones took over 50, and I honestly was tempted to post them all; but I decided to have mercy on all of you, and I narrowed it down to only 21!

We were actually supposed to go to the Oil Ranch today. We had planned to meet Sabrina and her family there and have a day of it together. But as we were finalizing these plans yesterday, we discovered that the Oil Ranch is only opened on Saturdays from September through May; so we had to come up with Plan B. The downside to this plan was the fact that anywhere else we went would probably be out of mileage range for a day-trip for Sabrina.

Having survived the horrific Category I hurricane that roared through our area last night ... in truth, we hardly got touched by Humberto -- skies were blue today, the temperate had cooled a bit, and the humidity had lowered just a tad -- so we decided to try Old MacDonald's Farm. What a darling place! It's in N. Houston not far from the airport, so jets were flying overhead all day.

We arrived just before 11:00 this morning and hopped on board the train at the EIEIO Depot. The little engine was powered by a 1973 Ford Pinto 4-cylinder 1600 cc engine (which the engineer had a difficult time starting!) It chugged along just like you would think a 1973 Ford Pinto would do ...
Admission to the farm was $7 no matter if you were 2 or 92; but once inside, everything was included (unless you wanted to feed the animals -- the food was extra).
We had a very nice train ride around the whole farm.
This made Grandpa very happy.
Nathan LOOKS very sober here, but he
enjoyed the train ride very much ...
Rachel and I could not get over our
amazement at how tame these deer were!
There were signs posted around the Farm that said,
"No chasing the deer."
They should have informed the deer NOT to chase us!
It's a good thing we didn't buy any food to share with them;
they got downright aggressive with folk who did!
Nia Madelynn and Nathan Paul as
Mr. & Mrs. Farmer Jones ...
I know they are siblings -- this just made such a cute picture!
Nick swinging in the hay barn like a monkey --
We tried to get Nathan to swing on a rope
but he didn't want any part of that monkey business ...
Grandma Jones (me) and Nia Madelynn
having a cuddle or two ...
See how friendly and tame these deer are?
This one was especially interested in Nia's feet!
I have never in my life seen a live deer up close.
I took a bunch of pictures, but you would find them boring
if I posted all of them!
Rachel is an absolute "natural" with animals of almost any kind.
She doesn't seem to be afraid of any of them!
The sign says, "WARNING! Llama's may spit!"
Yuck!
Meet TRUDY (the horse!)
Trudy wasn't terribly interested
in giving anyone a ride anywhere!
Nick had to pull really hard on her rope to get her to move!
Rachel was hoping that if Nathan saw
her riding Trudy that he would get on too ...
They finally coaxed Nathan onto Trudy ...
but Nathan was not too happy about it!
I thought Nathan did tolerably well
under the circumstances! And look at Rachel!
She is having a great time!
This is a Wallaby!
I had never seen one before! How cute is he?!
Our very own teensy tiny (but growing) Nia
Nathan enjoyed playing in this huge sand mound
with his folks for quite awhile ...
Look how beautiful she is!
There was even an old Western/Indian set-up ...
Near the end of our visit,
Nathan got very friendly with the deer.
He would point to his own eyes and say, "Eye"
and then almost touch the deer's eye and say, "Eye."
He did his ears the same way and then the nose --
except he says "honk" for noses (since his folks carefully squeeze
his little nose and say, "Honk") --
Nathan came very very close to taking his hand
and squeezing this deer's nose!
What a great place to spend a care-free day! I know this was a lot of pictures to look at, but I didn't even show you the pictures of the most ugly ostrich I have ever laid my eyes on, the fattest potbellied pigs, a very sad-looking donkey, an absolutely gorgeous peacock, the prairie dogs, sheep, very fat rabbits, and sundry other animals we saw -- so consider yourself lucky!

No comments: