Friday, September 7, 2007

Lafayette LA to Houston TX

Our newest grandchild
NIA MADELYNN!
She is so tiny and SO beautiful!

We left Lafayette, Louisiana, yesterday morning at our usual departure time. If you are ever driving through Lafayette and think you might want to check into the Microtel there, think again! I really only have a few criteria for hotels -- NO BUGS, must be clean, and no odors please! I don't think that's asking too much, do you? I think it is an added benefit if the place is a little bit pretty, but I'm really not all that fussy when it comes to that. The Microtel in Lafayette failed in all categories except the first and definitely most important one (no bugs). Plus, most of the lights in the room did not work! Its one redeeming feature was the free high-speed internet access, which is definitely better than the InTown Suites where we are presently staying...consequently, I am "blogging" over at Nick and Rachel's!

We only had about 100 miles of travel left in Louisiana, but we needed a bathroom break and so stopped at a Wendy's. When I got out of the van, I was attacked -- I'm serious -- by an entire host of FLYING insects (remember, I DO NOT like bugs!) -- it was like a PLAGUE! I could try to describe them to you, but here is a picture...they are about the size of a small house fly and two of them are attached to each other (I know, they are mating), but they are trying to maneuver in opposite directions! They were absolutely EVERYWHERE, all over the van, etc. We took off down the highway and they were smashing against the windshield (gross) and they would not wash off! We amazingly made it to the State of Texas in one piece, and stopped in at the Welcome Center to pick up some maps and literature about the great State of Texas... We discovered these insects were STILL with us. I asked a woman working in the Welcome Center what these lovely bugs were called, and she told me they were "Lovebugs!" How appropriate, but NO THANK-YOU!Here is a typically TEXAS bridge, absolutely mammoth. This one was traversing a river very near the Houston area, and all alongside the river were huge oil refineries, which I did not find very picturesque at all.

We finally arrived in Houston, well actually, Pasadena (where our hotel is located). We checked in, unpacked (since we are staying 8 days), and then drove to Webster to meet Nia! Here she is, sweet and beautiful! Nia MadelynnHere she is doing her stretching exercises!

When we arrived, Nathan wasn't so sure about us -- he had been to see us in Michigan, but I think he was a little bit worried we were taking him away! He finally relaxed and let Grandpa hold him...

Here is Grandpa with Nathan
Grandpa and Baby Nia
Grandpa has a special touch with newborns...

We visited for awhile at their apartment, but then decided to go to a toy store outlet to check out the sales there. We got a few nice toys for very good prices. Since it was well into dinner time, we stopped and ate at a place called Sudies, which boasts great fried catfish, etc. We had a very enjoyable and delicious meal. Nathan Paul, however, wasn't interested in food; nor was he agreeable to sitting in a high chair. He was pretty happy to sit with Nicolas while we ate.
Piggy back was even better!

After dinner, we went back to their apartment and Rachel and I looked through KRAFT Food & Family Magazines, picked out a couple of simple, easy-to-prepare but delicious-sounding recipes, made out a grocery list and went to the SuperTarget to shop! We left the men in charge of the wee folk!


I was really hoping to get back to the hotel last night and post these pictures, but like I said before, our internet didn't connect us to anything at all. We inquired about the problem this morning and found out it was because they do not have wireless internet! All we needed to do was to plug in our ethernet cable, and everything would be fine! I suppose we'll find out later tonight if it works. I have taken a few more pictures today that I'd like to share a bit later. So until then ...

No comments: