Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Grand Rapids MI to Blythesville AR

I bet you are wondering where on earth Blythesville, Arkansas is -- I don't blame you! I never heard of the place until today -- but here we are! But I need to back up and start from the beginning.

Mr. Jones and I left Grand Rapids at 8:00 this morning. We made excellent time. We had a perfect day for traveling; a clear blue sky, nice and warm, and the traffic wasn't too bad either. Anyone who has driven this trip to Texas knows that the State of Illinois is a really long and boring state to drive through. I guess I agree to a certain point, but I like farms and fields and trees! And they are all in abundance throughout the drive in Illinois, so I didn't mind it one bit. The colors were so beautiful today and I saw the tallest black-eyed Susans growing along the highway that I have ever seen.
A pretty pathway at one of the many rest stops
we needed along the way ...

We made it to the Mississippi by 5:30 Michigan time

This is the bridge that takes you across the Mississippi
on I-57 into the state of Missouri


This is a field of cotton
Believe it or not, I have never seen a field of cotton before today!
How is that possible?

I grew up in Detroit! I am a city girl!
Anyway, I saw plenty of cotton today -- field after field,
mile after mile ...

We drove about 9.5 hours today
We decided to call it a day in Blythesville, Arkansas
because we were hungry and tired.

Can anyone tell me WHY Kansas is pronounced: KAN-SAS
and Arkansas is pronouced: AR-KAN-SAW?
I feel sorry for anyone learning the English language!

Our hotel is within walking distance of The Olympia Steakhouse
so we walked over and had fried catfish with all-you-can-eat
popcorn shrimp. YUM! Plus, the place was so pretty --
just like Greece, with beautiful paintings and pottery from there!

The food was good and the service was great

Well, this is the first time I haved tried to use the laptop.
Thankfully, Mr. Jones patiently showed me how to do the basics --
but now I am very content to shut it off and relax awhile!

Tomorrow, we head on down through the entire
State of Mississippi and to Louisiana -- two states I have never been in.
I'll try to touch base tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I know exactly where you are since we have stopped there many times! Never made it to your restaurant though... are by chance staying at the Howard Johnson? Glad to hear that your first day went so well. Safe driving again tomorrow! Jackson is so excited that you are all heading this way.

JonesChronicles said...

Hi Dad and Mom! We can't wait to see you! I just sent Sabrina a message and asked her if she and the fam would like to meet all of us at the Oil Ranch (the farm with a train, petting zoo, ponies, pool, etc.) for a day while y'all are here. I'm hoping it works out so we can all spend some time together. It's so rare! Stay safe. Please tell Dad I bought a peanut butter brownie mix just thinking of him! =)

Anonymous said...

Yum. Peanut Butter. Nathan and I will enjoy!!!