Thursday, September 20, 2007

Interstate 10 W to El Paso

After eating breakfast and sharing many hugs,
we said sad goodbyes to everyone in Austin this morning ...
We were loading up the van when Mr. Jones
looked next door to Sabrina's and noticed this very beautiful cat
perched on the roof ...
I just had to post this picture!
What a cute cat!
We were prepared to have a very boring
and dull drive to El Paso;
but instead, were delighted with the beauty we saw ...
the triangle road sign to the right in the picture says,
"Drive Friendly."
Only in Texas do you find Cattleman's
and Wells Fargo banks,
roads named "Dinosaur Ranch Rd"
or "Happy Trails," and signs that say,
"Drive Friendly."
But here are some pictures of our nearly 600 mile
journey from Austin to El Paso ... see the hawk?
I had thought the terrain of the land was going
to be flat the whole way, but it was anything but that!
There was an abundance of mountains,
cliffs, valleys, rolling hills ...
beautiful cactus, yellow desert wildflowers,
sagebrush ...
Can you see the turbines along the cliff?
These wind generators lined the cliffs for
miles and miles and miles ...


... and lest you think that poor Mr. Jones
had a boring drive, look what we found in
Fort Stockton!
We found three cabooses!
Mr. Jones was so pleased!
These tracks haven't been used in quite awhile ...
We took a nice walk all around the depot ...
which the Chamber of Commerce is now using ...

... and then further down I-10 I was able to
photo this wooden rail trestle which Mr. Jones
pointed out to me as we traveled along
at 80 mph (the legal speed limit along I-10)
These are not huge mountains, but so interesting
to watch how the clouds form and change around them ...
Looking at the sky was so much fun --
see how the sun is streaking through?
We tried to make frequent stops along the way
to get out and stretch and give me some
photo opportunities ...
I loved watching this hawk soaring so free,
so graceful, so beautiful ...
It was an amazingly beautiful day ...
I enjoyed the entire 10 hours!
Doesn't this look like a tornado?
We watched this rain cloud form so quickly,

drop down and just pour rain!

And then we arrived in El Paso,
got our vehicle permit that allows us to park
and stay at Ft. Bliss until 9/26, and as we drove
in through the gate -- a rainbow!
And what is a rainbow supposed to remind us of?
God's great mercy and forgiveness,
His unfailing love and kindness ...


And so I am praying that our stay here
at Ft. Bliss will be blessed by the Lord;

that we will have fun with the little kids,
enjoy Diana's company, and even though Jesse
is very far away, perhaps I will feel comforted
to be with his family ...
however, I am missing him very much tonight.

Praying especially for you, tonight, dear son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked!! I thought it was truly going to be a long and very boring drive...but I guess it is also good to know becuase Paul is now living in Cali and most likely some time we just might have to drive that same highway to visit them.

Sabrina said...

I didn't know the speed limit was 80, very neat though considering what a long stretch it is. I can't remember what route we took to get to El Paso years ago, but I remember it being boring until we got to the mountains. We must have driven through West Texas and not I-10. I am so glad that you both had a great drive and saw such beauty!
Love you!