Friday, December 28, 2007

Cookie's Party

The LORD says, "I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
When they call on me I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will satisfy them with a long life
and give them my salvation."
PSALM 91:14-16
It was Roy's birthday yesterday.
We decided to honor him by baking him a cake
and surprising him with it when he and Nana came over to
meet baby Nia ...
I was looking through my recipes for a tried-and-true
delicious, yummy moist cake (chocolate of course)
and settled on one from a newer cookbook of mine ...
Emily offered to help me frost it and
was ready on-the-spot to do so,
but I explained that I hadn't made the frosting yet ...
I received a rather blank look from our Emily
in response!
She said she had never tasted homemade frosting!
Oh, my! I told her I had never frosted a cake
with anything BUT homemade frosting (honest!).
I told her I would make some buttercream frosting
AND SHE COULD LICK THE BEATER! :)
Here is Emily with her very first taste of homemade
buttercream frosting!
I realize this cake LOOKS pathetic ...
it had been awhile since I had made a frosted two-layer cake.
And wouldn't you know it?
I had a tough time with the frosting --
first it was TOO stiff, then it was TOO creamy ...
I wouldn't blame anyone who watched the painful process
(Emily, Sabrina and Olivia)
if they NEVER made homemade frosting for a two-layer cake!
I had intended on frosting the sides of the cake
and then rolling the cake in some
red and green Christmas candy (wouldn't that have been pretty?)
but by the time I had butchered the cake
trying to frost it, I was lucky to have it in one piece
and still looking like a cake ...

Mom and Roy and everyone
were just waiting for Nick and Rachel to arrive ...
they were anxious to meet Nia ~
and actually, Nick and Rachel had never met Roy yet ...
so introductions were made all around!
We sat in the living room and visited for awhile ...
This is cute of Nana and Sabrina ...
I think mom is relating the raccoon story to her ~
oh my!
Remember the raccoon that Roy shot the night before (six times!?)
It didn't die ... and it made quite a mess up in their attic.
Roy had to call his nephew Larry (Gail's younger brother)
to come and help him take care of the problem ...
THIS time, they got a high-powered rifle from Roy's
garage and put an end to the furry intruder!
We had quite a full house, didn't we?
It was time to sing our happy birthday song ...
We crammed ourselves into the dining room ...... sang him our very best melodious "Happy Birthday" ...
and then Cookie blew out ALL of his candles ...
you can see that I DID NOT attempt to put 87 candles
on his cake ...
Look how cute they are together!
Our Cookie was very pleased with his cake
and our well wishes ...
The most elderly and the very youngest of
this unusually blended family ...

"May the LORD bless you and protect you.
May the LORD smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the LORD show you his favor
and give you his peace."
NUMBERS 6:24

We are blessed to have Cookie be part of our family ...

No comments: