Monday, December 24, 2007

Our Christmas Eve ...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE EVERYONE! We had another good day here in Winter Wonderland. The little kids were delighted with the snow ...
Jackson enjoyed every minute of snow fights, shoveling, making roads with the outside trucks, chasing Thomas K, etc. I love this picture of him ... such a boy he is!
And Olivia! She loves the snow too! Doesn't she look beautiful with the snow in her hair and her cheeks so rosy with the cold?
Sabrina took most of these pictures. I was INSIDE looking out ... making dinner -- so I could see the fun from the kitchen window and still stay warm ...
Of course Adam and Emily were outside having fun with everyone as well. I just love that they hang out with us and enjoy the little kids so much ...
The snow play continued for more than an hour! These Texas kiddos don't get much opportunity to enjoy the white stuff ...
Karis fit perfectly into our plastic toy container ... it made a great sled as well ...
We ate our spaghetti dinner, cleaned up the kitchen and ourselves, and then packed everyone into the van to attend the Christmas Eve Service, one of my very favorite services all year. We went to the 7:00 p.m. service, but there is another one tonight at 11:00. The church was absolutely packed out, and the lights were so ... well, they were so Christmas!
The service was mainly all of the beautiful Scripture readings of the whole Christmas story, intermingled with Christmas carols ... it was really beautiful.
The little kids all got invited up to the front to hear the story of the Christmas cane, and received one of their own to get sticky with during the rest of the service ... nice! :)
And look who made it to Grand Rapids after 22 hours on the road! Nick, Rachel, baby Nia and Nathan Paul! We saw them both before and after the service. Look how much baby Nia has grown! Everyone completely fussed over her, and she seemed to enjoy it hugely!
And what can I say about Nathan? Well, it's hard to put into words the joy of seeing his little face and adorable smile! We will see them again the day after Christmas, as well as the day after that too. By the time we got home from church, it was almost 9:00. Jackson and Karis were finished for the day, and tucked away quite easily into their beds for the night.
And look! A box arrived today addressed to the Jones Family from Diana's family in El Paso. I missed all of them keenly tonight, and my grandma heart was hurting. I sat through the service now and then imagining that Emma was sitting on my lap, all cuddled up and close, and that I could hear her soft voice and see her sweet face ... and Christopher's soft cheeks and Matthew's very blue eyes ... and Diana -- and my Jesse, too, half the world away tonight -- I'm not going to lie about this ... it's tough not to have them here ...
The presents have been brought out of hiding and are waiting for morning to arrive. I've got the menu organized, my "to do" list is all made, and a wonderful turkey dinner is going to be served on the morrow ... and Nana and Roy are coming over too! I'll show you pictures of all of it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

The kids sure did have fun playing out in the white stuff! I miss Jes and Di and the kids too. Wish you could all be here with us too but I'm sending you love across the miles. Great pictures mom!