Monday, December 10, 2007

I had SO much fun today!

I went Christmas shopping for the grandchildren today, and I had SO much fun! Not all of the grandchildren can make it all the way home for the holidays; so in the next few days, their box MUST be mailed so that it will arrive on time!
This is my very favorite toy store that I have ever been to -- and that includes the really cool ones that I have visited up north in resort towns. This toy store is so full of the very best toys. I spent more than three hours there this afternoon ... playing! I left Mr. Jones at home. He's fun in a toy store for about 30 minutes (which is pretty good), but I knew it would take me much longer than that today ... and I didn't want to be hampered by a frowny faced, I-hate-the-mall grandpa ... besides, he had a bunch of projects he was working on around the house today and was happy to stay home. A win-win situation as far as I was concerned.
I was able to completely finish shopping for six out of eight grandchildren, AND I kept to within $3.00 of our budget -- nearly a miracle, seeing that my first inclination was to put one of almost every single item in my shopping cart! That was the timely part -- narrowing it down! But how thankful I am this year to be able to LEISURELY shop, consider each grandchild carefully, and pick out exactly the right gift! I like this retirement frame of mind. No hurry. No pressure. I don't even wear a watch any more! :)

4 comments:

Diana said...

I don't think I have ever been in that store. I wish we were going 'home' for Christmas but being this is already going to be a hard time, I have to stay positive. I know there are reasons why not, even if we don't know them all.

Sabrina said...

Did I tell you that we have a Learning Express that just opened down the road near Target? I'm glad you had a fun day!
Andrew wanted me to tell you though that he already has Newt Gringriches Rediscovering God in America- he found it while packing up his office. :)
As for the watch- I don't wear one anymore either unless I am working and I much prefer not wearing one. Love ya!

Mom Jones said...

Diana -- Staying positive is a good goal, and we all support you in that. We'll all get on the computer (Webcam) and have some fun with you and the kiddos Christmas Day or Christmas Eve (whichever works best for you) and try to bridge the gap between El Paso and Grand Rapids. There are a lot of people here who love each and everyone of you there ...

Sabrina -- Good deal about the Learning Express by you! What a great store. Thanks for the heads-up about the book for Andrew too.

Thursday said...

That store looks like a lot of fun! I can't believe Mr. Jones csn't find any cool trains in a place like that to keep himself occupied.