Monday, May 12, 2014

A somewhat quiet Friday night ...

We had kind of a quiet Friday night together around here … when I say "kind of" it's because honestly, it is NEVER quiet here at the Beach House when the grandchildren are over. But we did have a rather low-key evening together ~ no big plans or goals ~ we just hung out together.
 I decided that since I haven't been using my drafting table for ART in a very long time that it would be better served as a LEGO table (for now … until I get re-inspired to return to my card designs). Chris thought the idea was wonderful and made good use of the space. 
 I was so excited about our Bible story time. During Lent, the kids and I studied the last weeks of Christ in a lot of detail. Now that we are past Easter, I decided to do three stories (together) about what happened between the resurrection and Christ's ascension. Did you know that Jesus stayed here on earth for 40 days after He rose from the dead? What was He doing all that time?! These are some of my favorite stories in the entire Bible … so I was very enthused, you see!
Our lesson actually started with the two followers of Jesus on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24). As a young girl, we had a well-recognized picture of this actual story hanging on our living room wall (below) and I used to look at it and WISH with all my heart that I was one of those two guys walking with Jesus!
Christopher colored in a rendition of it that I got off one of those children's Bible sites on-line. We talked about the whole story, about how the two friends didn't recognize Jesus (because He had changed his appearance), and how they listened intently as Jesus opened the Scriptures to them (wow!), and finally realized it was Him when He broke the bread at their table ~ and immediately He disappeared. And then these two fellows immediately walked the 7 miles all the way back to Jerusalem to tell the disciples … who did NOT believe their story!
And speaking of unbelief, we did the very famous story of "Doubting Thomas" and talked about ALL of the unbelief demonstrated by ALL of Jesus' friends. But how gracious was Jesus! He appeared to His friends and invited them to touch Him, eat with Him, walk with Him and KNOW that He was ALIVE. I can't find the picture Matthew colored! It has to be around here somewhere, but … where?
 The third story, for which I have NO pictures, was when Jesus appeared to seven of His friends on the shore of the Sea of Galilee and how He helped them catch 153 huge fish (after they had been out all night and had caught ZERO), and how Peter jumped out of the boat and swam a football field's length (300 feet) to shore to see Jesus, who already had a wonderful breakfast cooking around the charcoal fire ~ and WHERE did we last see Peter around a charcoal fire? Ah! That charcoal fire at Caiaphas's house when Peter denied knowing Jesus. What a great story of Jesus loving His friends, restoring Peter, and then telling him, "Follow Me!" The children colored while I told these wonderful stories. We had such a great time!
 Matthew continued his window pictures, adding more sharks and other interesting objects ...
Our movie was going to be "Frozen" which I had ordered from Amazon (on sale) but … yikes … it's difficult to admit this, but it is part of what happened Friday night so I simply must journal it. When we put our Frozen DVD into my computer, it turned out to be the Spanish version, with NO English option! Sigh. I ordered it wrong, so it will either have to be returned or I will simply have to donate it to a Spanish family! We watched "Rio" instead, which was a really darling story about endangered Macau birds from Brazil, very well done. And then we went to bed. Poor Matthew had quite a cough, well into the wee hours of the morning, but finally slept soundly, as did the rest of us!

No comments: