Sunday, May 18, 2014

Another Friday night ...

One of these days I am going to have to come up with a different title for these weekend blogs! But until I do, I am stuck with what I've written! 

I picked the kiddos up over at their house late afternoon Friday and we went right to the Beach House without stopping anywhere else. It was colder than it should be for mid-May, I had our taco dinner all prepared, and I just wanted to come home and eat it. So that's what we did. Afterwards, the boys got right into drawing and coloring NFL team symbols from their magazines and NFL card collection. Thankfully, I have recently replenished my markers and copy paper so that I have plenty for them to use. This is a very calming activity for these usually EXTREMELY active boys … so I am always thankful when they are working on a project like this.

Emma got out the dominoes and set them up in all kinds of fancy ways. She was very focused, and as she worked, we shared about the happenings of our week ... 
Our Bible story this week was about the Ascension. There is so much to learn about the life of Jesus, isn't there?! We talked about so many interesting things Friday night with this story. 
 The last few weeks, we've been talking about what Jesus did during the 40 days he remained on earth before he left and went back to heaven. This week, we were basically in Matthew 28:18-20 as well as in Acts 1.
We talked about the "authority" Jesus had because He was "Lord of heaven and earth" and how He alone is worthy of our worship and adoration! We talked about HIS KINGDOM … Jesus is the King and we get to serve Him, our good and gracious King!  
 We also talked about His command that we make followers of Jesus. How do we do that? By telling the beautiful story of Jesus, his death for our sins, and His resurrection to new life … and by telling our story of redemption as well.
 We also talked about how Jesus promised NEVER to leave us and that he would stay with us ALWAYS. It was a good time together, learning the things of God. 

Since we finished reading, "The Magician's Nephew" a few weeks ago, we picked up our Chronicles of Narnia book and began reading, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." I love reading these books out loud to these children! They hang on every word and they do not miss anything! It's the best thing to watch their faces and feel their anticipation with each chapter. I'm so thankful for these great stories that again teach about the great and loving God we have!
We did our usual nighttime rituals, and then settled in our sleeping bags to watch our Friday Night Movie. This time we watched the 1994 version of "The Little Rascals." Oh my! Did we ever laugh. What a cute movie! 
So glad to be able to have these kiddos for Friday overnights … it won't be too many more … years (hopefully not months) before they just won't want to be stuck with their old grandma any more! I'm going to take advantage of every weekend that I am allowed to share in their lives … I am always enriched as a result.

No comments: