Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Until we meet again, beautiful friend ...

More than twenty years ago, as a single mom, I became part of the Stephen's Ministry program through Calvary Church. I was in need of some counsel and help, so I was matched up with a lovely lady by the name of Sidney. We began meeting once per week over at the Red Hot on Leonard and the E. Beltline and enjoyed hot chocolate, good conversation, and a wonderful friendship that blossomed through the years. She was/is very precious to me.
I loved many things about Sidney. Her smile! She was honest. She was kind. She was an excellent listener. She did not judge. She didn't give advice off the cuff. Sidney loved the Lord and always pointed me His direction. We shared His Word together, wonderful fellowship.


We stayed in touch over the years. She was no longer my counselor, but always a trusted friend. Almost three years ago, she was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer but waged a battle to fight it … and won a year's remission that allowed her to travel to Uganda, along with a group of people from her son's church, and meet and minister to many children in a village there. She was able to visit them several times, even as she fought this cancer battle, and became known as the "mom" of the village. Sidney was good at loving people.
Sidney's cancer returned with a vengeance, and she waged another good fight. She had been cancer free for a few months just recently. She was getting out a little bit more, walking, enjoying her large family and many grandchildren; but then, suddenly, she went home to the Lord early Friday morning. Her cancer (unknown to anyone) had metastasized to her brain, she had a major stroke, went into a coma and fell asleep. That's how she looked last night when I saw her at the funeral home ~ like she had just laid her pretty head down and was taking a short nap. I stood beside her there for a long time and said my good-byes.

Sidney's love for me made an enormous difference in my life. It was unconditional and it was deep. We had a mutual respect, some shared sad circumstances, and true understanding of each other. I will love her always and I will greatly miss her. Rest in peace, sweet sister … so glad your suffering has ended and that you are experiencing the JOY of being truly alive for the first time ever. 

This Scripture is on the funeral brochure with Sidney's beautiful picture:

"To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul; in You I trust, O my God . . . no one whose hope is in You will ever be put to shame."  PSA 25:1-3  

No comments: