Sunday, May 4, 2014

An Artsy kind of weekend ...

I've just uploaded 35 pictures to this post, and I realize that is a LOT of photographs … especially when all of them are INSIDE photos, none of them remarkable by themselves. But all of them help to tell the story of our weekend and I couldn't leave any of them out! I should say, at least, that I took nearly 200 pictures and have narrowed it down to only these 35 … so there!
 Our Bible story this weekend was about the resurrection of Jesus … yes, Easter was several weekends ago, but there were a few weekends that the children didn't come over and I certainly wasn't going to skip teaching this lesson just because Easter Sunday had already passed! There is so much wonderful truth to tell the children about … so much of our faith (everything!) hangs on the truth of Jesus rising from the dead. It is what we base our HOPE on. So … we discussed it together, read the Bible passages, and colored appropriate pictures.
I bought some fresh markers at Michael's this week … one pkg. was metallic markers … all of the kiddos really liked these markers because there was a shimmer to the ink, a kind of glow … just right for angels!
We talked about how Jesus defeated death by his own death … and how He is alive forevermore! We talked about the earthquake, the angels (who were brilliantly white and shone … because they had come from the presence of God!), the women who came to anoint the body of Jesus and met the angels, the disciples disbelief when they heard the story, the bribing of the Roman soldiers and the lie that was spread abroad by them … and then we talked about what all of that means for us. Because He lives, sin and death have been defeated … we can live a new life right now … today! And because Jesus is the resurrection and the life, we too can have eternal life with Him.
 I love how their pictures turned out!

Everyone appreciated new markers and went on to create many other pictures throughout the weekend.  

I have a friend from many years back, and we have re-connected via Facebook. She is an amazing grandma, a very artistic person, kind and wonderful to know. She had posted pictures of her grandkids playing with play dough and "goggly" eyes. It looked like a lot of fun, so while I was getting markers at Michaels, I looked for some goggly eyes as well. As a result, this is what my grandkiddos came up with ...
 Oh … I also picked up a package of window crayons and asked each of the children to draw me a special picture.
 Christopher is huge into the NFL, so he drew some of his favorite team emblems ...
 The cute little critters below were created by Christopher as well ...
 Emma made a two-headed alien (below) ...
 And Matthew just had a blast with the entire project … he is a very resourceful little guy … I love the stuff he comes up with.


 The children decided that my side window would be the best place to draw their pictures. This is where the sun shines the brightest in the afternoons.
 Didn't Chris do such a nice job?


 Matthew was SO INTO this play dough project! Look at his happy face! But what really really surprised me was his window art ...
 He just went to town on it and created such a pretty lighthouse picture!


Matthew added the sharks later … I think he just really wanted to impress the socks off me!
Emma made a whole bunch of funny critters, but my favorite were these two: the spider and the fly. Note the spider's wide open mouth waiting to devour our poor helpless little fly … Emma cracked up the whole time she was making them! Me too!




 Here is the best I could do at photographing the finished window art: 
Emma started with stars. The giant one is no other than The Star of Bethlehem. Then she drew the hill and Calvary's cross. She added the glowing pot (and she told me what this was for, but I forget!), and the Sea of Galilee (bottom right corner), and then drew the lunar eclipse (blood moon … top left). She was very focused throughout!
Here is Matthew's beautiful lighthouse picture! My neighbor's lawn kind of detracts from the beauty, but when the sun is shining through this window, it is so very beautiful! 
Didn't Chris's NFL emblems turn out nice too? The Lion's was my favorite (naturally). 
Here is Emma making a play dough creature. She couldn't decide exactly WHAT to call it, but she was pleased with it!



 And not to be outdone (not ever!), Christopher made an entire family of play dough critters!
It was only in the very low 50's (and that was the high temp) windy and wet, most of Saturday which is why we were "grounded" inside. Hopefully (I keep saying this), it will warm up soon and we can get back to some outdoor Saturday afternoon adventures! I certainly hope so, but I think we made the best of our indoor time together!

No comments: