Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Monday afternoon we got lost in the woods ...

Kelly-O was telling me about a play group that Brendan is on that meets on Monday afternoons at various parks around Grand Rapids. She invited Kaity and I to meet her at Wahlfield Park last week. We are familiar with this park because it is just a few miles up the road from where Kaity lives.
There are amazing walking/biking trails beyond the beautiful playground. I had walked short distances on them during the winter, but never in the spring. I suggested to Kelly that I take the kiddos on a "short" hike and give her the opportunity to meet and chat with her other mama friends. 
The little kids thought this was an excellent idea, so off we went--me walking, Kaity running like the wind, and Brendan trying to keep up with his speedy cousin ...

Isn't spring intoxicating? I love every new leaf! 
See the kiddos SO FAR AHEAD of their old grandma?!!!
Baby Aidan is all snuggled up sleepy and warm on Kelly's front pack. We did not see them again for a very long time!
Most of the trails I had taken in the past went for a short distance and then circled on back to the playground, or not far from it.
But these two pixies were taking one turn after another ...

I did ask them to stop and hug each other so that I could take a nice picture of them together ...
Cuties!

But then they were off and on the RUN once again!

We had been doing this probably for 20-30 minutes when I finally corralled them and tried to figure out WHERE on earth we had gotten ourselves ...
And then Kaity said she was thirsty ...

And then Brendan said HE was thirsty ... and by the way, could I carry him?
And then Kaity wanted to be carried too! And did I have any water with me?!!!! No. But I did have some grapes in a baggy in my camera case, so I pulled those out and the kids got refreshed and ... off they ran!
After a little while, though, it became apparent (to me) that these trails were NOT winding back. So I asked the kids to slow down and that we had a little problem. I suggested that we pray and as God to help us find our way back to the playground. Brendan said he would pray too ... "Dear God! We are Lost! Please help us!" A very appropriate prayer, Brendan! Thankfully, just around the next bend, there was a MAP! Yes! I was able to get our bearings and navigate us in the correct direction.
Brendan, however, had his doubts about my ability to get us out of the predicament we were in, so he felt it necessary to stop every TEN steps or so (!!!!) to re-draw our map in the sand with his handy walking stick. Kaity paid very close attention ...
Aren't they so cute?

I tried to coax Brendan along, but seriously, every ten steps or so, he would stop dead in his tracks and start mapping out our course ...






We had to take a few unauthorized shortcuts off the pathway (to save time) and before too long ...

we were within sight of the beloved playground! So thankful! We were all quite exhausted.


Wahlfield Park is a super nice place. I'm going to have to go back and take a super long hike some day.
Since this was a Monday, Kaity went home with me and we played "Memory" from the cards we got from Wendy's restaurant. Kaity always beats the socks off me in this game and she is very delighted to do so.
Last of all, we enjoyed a nice ice-cream cone!
Love these little grandchildren so much!

No comments: