Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Butterfly magic ... more pictures!

"God looked over all he had made,
and he saw that it was excellent in every way!"
GENESIS 1:31

I returned to Frederik Meijer Gardens this morning to get another look at the butterflies. There were so many different ones from the time I had been there before!

This beautiful blue one is called Morpho peleides. It flitters all over the place and when it lands, it almost immediately closes its wings, which are brown with eyespots ... really beautiful details, but annoying if you really want a picture of the wings open! I took zillions of pictures trying to just get one decent shot ... this is as good as it got for me! The two shots below are the blue butterflies with their wings closed ~ they are very beautiful then too, don't you think?

This is a tree nymph (below) and it is one of my favorites. I love the lines and patterns on the wings ... you can almost see through them ...
Below, there are a couple of Common Morphos (I think) with their wings closed sitting on a feeding dish.
I've been having a lot of trouble with uploading pictures tonight; but that's okay because everything around the house is on the blink as well ... the plumbing in the kitchen and main bathroom sinks went bizzerk and I've been mopping up significant water mixed in with orange peel and other assorted partially disposed food items. Mr. Jones is presently shopping for a plumbing SNAKE to see if he can solve the problem. Catch ya later!



P.S. It is now Wednesday afternoon. Our plumbing problem has been taken care of thanks to our in-house plumber and I've uploaded some more butterfly pictures. I had taken some over to Picnik to make prettier, but now I can't upload those here ~ I'm not sure why exactly, because it will allow me to do a FEW ... I'll just save the real pretty ones for greeting cards.

7 comments:

Emily said...

How was Fredrik Meijer Gardens this time around? I think I might go there next time I visit.

Sabrina said...

I love the blue morpho butterfly! Sorry to hear about the sink... yikes I hope the plumbing gets fixed for you soon!

Mom Jones said...

The Gardens is always a cool place to visit, Emily ~ even without the butterflies ... they have great stuff to see and a nice nature walk too. It was pretty crowded yesterday with school children, but it's fun to watch them with the butterflies.

And Sabrina, your dad did his plumbing magic act with the SNAKE and everything was working and almost all cleaned up by 10:15 ~ it was a pretty huge watery yucky mess, and I was kind of grumpy about it!

Anonymous said...

Kind of Grumpy???

Sabrina said...

I'm impressed that you were just kinda grumpy mom- I would have been very grumpy I imagine! Love all the new butterfly pics too! by the way- every time Karis sees the phone she wants to call you guys!

Anonymous said...

Tell Karis Grandma and Boppa are waiting for her call.

Sabrina said...

I tagged you for another blog posting at my blog. I know you may not know how to link yet but you don't have to do that part. have fun! Here are the rules:
1. Write your own six word Memoir.
2. Post it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who tagged you.
4. Tag 5 more blogs with links (leave a comment on their blog with an invitation to play).