Saturday, April 5, 2008

In and around Aunt Peg's pretty place ...

We've been staying here in Houston with Don's youngest sister, Peggy (Aunt Peg). I wanted to show you just a few photos of her house and neighborhood.
Outside of her house ... she lives on a beautiful street with all kinds of different houses ... This is her front door (or side door) depending on what you designate front or side!
This stained-glass artwork hangs in one of the upstairs windows ...
She has a beautiful staircase, doesn't she? It's my favorite thing about her house!
Aunt Peg has a wonderful collection of Heisey glasswear in this hutch ...
We took a walk this afternoon after driving back from Old Town Spring. We walked all the way down to Memorial Park. I was totally captivated by this neighborhood ... I've never seen so many different styles of architecture ... along with downright weird houses. I've decided to show you three of the oddest houses I have ever seen in my life.
This "house" is right around the block from Aunt Peg's. It looks like something Timothy Leary would design and live in!
But even weirder was The Beer Can House. Okay ~ I'm not kidding! Take a look for yourself! It would be a college kid's spring break dream pad ... or something else ...
The owner has taken beer cans and done all kinds of amazingly creative things with them! :)
And then this house is just plain odd ... some guy with a midieval fantasy life or something ...
Peg explained there are no building code regulations in Houston ~ so you have very beautiful mansion-sized homes right next to teensy tiny cottage kinds of houses (some in really beautiful shape, but others very run-down) ... so it makes neighborhoods very interesting to walk through ... I was entirely captivated by the whole experience!
And the flowers were just amazing ... I can't wait to get home and start digging in my dirt! And who is this? No ~ it isn't Thomas K following us on our journey to Texas! This is Ebony and she is decidedly smaller than Tommy. Ebony belongs to Aunt Peg and she is a darling little cat.
We have had a great time staying with Aunt Peg this week. She has graciously provided us a beautiful place to sleep and breakfast and hang out! And tonight is our last night!

Tomorrow morning, we are meeting Nick and Rachel and her parents and going to Houston Northwest to worship, and then have lunch together. Afterwards, Mr. Jones and I are packing up and heading to ... Galveston Island for one night at the Flagship Hotel, which is on a 1000 foot pier! I'm hoping to catch a beautiful sunset and then I'm getting up before the sun rises to hopefully see ... the sun rise! I'm not sure when I will post again because we will be at hotels heading back to Michigan after that ... if I have time and internet availability, I'll tell you about our journey home!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, big and beautiful house!

Sabrina said...

I love Peg's place. Its so beautiful and her cat is cute!
Have a great time at the beach and I hope you catch some great shots. Update as you can from the road and we'll look forward to hearing that you are back safe and sound in MI.