Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A quick look around Houston!

I decided on two posts for today because there was just too much to combine it all together! After we left the Oil Ranch (see next post), we followed Nick and Rachel to their new place in Houston. When they say they live in downtown Houston, they are not kidding! They showed us around their house real quick, and then we walked over the Frank's (a pizza place) to have dinner. When they said it was just a short walk, I took their word for it ...
We passed by this really old Jewish cemetary ... I LOVE cemetaries and MUST EXPLORE this one in the next couple of days!
You can see the tall buildings right from their house, but it's about a 20-minute walk to actually get this close ... I absolutely LOVE skyscrapers and big cities!
This building is actually the tallest this side of the Mississippi ~ not even the buildings in Los Angeles are this tall! Isn't it beautiful?
Here we are at Frank's having our pizza ... notice Boo is all ready for his slice ...
Frank's was actually 1.5 miles from their house, so it was a longer walk than what I initially thought, but it was so interesting to walk downtown and see the sights along the way.
About two blocks further, is Nick's Starbucks ~ so we stopped in to have a look around.
Most of Nick's customers are walk-ins ~ business folk and lawyers and people who work in all of the gigantic buildings surrounding the area ...
I think Nick is enjoying being the manager at this location. He has pulled it out of the "red" and made a good profit for the store in the past month!
This is how the little ones took the trip downtown ~ safely strapped into their double stroller. There is a lot of fast-moving traffic all along these streets, so it just makes sense to have the little ones some place safe and contained.
How do you like THE GREAT JONES Building? There is actually some guy named Jesse H. Jones (!) that built a lot of the buildings in Houston ...
There are a lot of beautiful flowers all around ... And this is their light rail train ... Nick and Rachel ride it everywhere! Nathan loves it too!
Some of the fountains that line the light rail line ...

I'll show you more of Houston tomorrow. We have decided to just hang around town, walk to some of the parks nearby and try to catch our breath after a really busy day today. Mr. Jones and I are staying quite comfortably at Aunt Peg's (Mr. Joneses sister) who lives just a few miles from Nick and Rachel. We are all going to have dinner together tomorrow at Chewy's, a great Mexican place downtown.

I'm happy to be here in Houston tonight, but at the same time I'm sad! It was a week ago that I said good-by to Diana and my Pahman kiddo's ~ how I wish they could have been with us at the Ranch today! They would have had so much fun seeing their cousins and petting the animals and riding the train and pony! Saying good-by to Sabrina and family today was sad too ... and Olivia had to go to school instead of being with us! Life is like that and I accept how it is, but I will not say that I like it!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I wish that we had a light rail in Austin. I would use it! Great pics of Nick's store. I am so glad he is doing so well there- but then again we all knew that he would! Have fun!