Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Swept off my feet!

Do you remember how I told you I am a substitute reader in the library over at Campau Elementary School? Well, today was the first day I was back there since our trip to Texas. I walked into Mrs. Ewings' 2nd grade class just after lunch today to tell her I would wait for her class upstairs in the library. The class was just filing in the room from outdoor lunch recess. Mrs. Ewing was still outside corraling children. Armani, a little shrimp of a boy, ran up to me shouting, "You're back! You're back!" and then he wrapped his arms around my legs and hoisted me around the room ... in the air! Off my feet! I was SO shocked and SO thankful that Mrs. Ewing was still outside and that only three other children were present to witness the amazing strength of this small boy (and my embarrassment) and I was SO afraid he would stumble and we would both go falling all over each other to the ground and that I would CRUSH him! I finally convinced him to put me down, only to have two other rather small people offer to carry me around the room as well. I assured them I was far too heavy for them, gathered my composure and hurried upstairs to the library ... where I am glad to report there were NO repeat performances of premature gallantry! I read our story with the children sitting around me, my feet planted firmly on the ground.

3 comments:

Thursday said...

Haha! What an experience! It's nice to be loved that much. :)

Sabrina said...

I saw your picture and thought dad actually did something romantic but no. That is so funny though that he picked you up and carried you around the room! I guess they really missed seeing you! What fun!

Unknown said...

how hilarious! i can only imagine that you are quite a fabulous reader...