Friday, April 4, 2008

More adventures in Houston!

We had another great day in Houston today! We walked about a mile into Houston to catch the light rail out to the zoo ...
On the way, we saw some rescue guys and their fire engine, so Nathan got to try on a fire guy's hat ...
The hat was a little bit large, but the fire fighters had a lot of fun sharing it with Nathan ...We also made a run past Nick's Starbuck's to get some hot cocoa and meet a few more folk that Nick works with. I snapped this picture outside Starbuck's of a pigeon eating chocolate ... must have been a female!
This is Nick's Starbuck's, right in the heart of Houston ...
I took this picture of the courthouse building adjacent to Starbuck's, seconds before I lost my footing on a ledge and went down! Yes! I mean I fell down, hard, and almost landed on my camera! Thankfully, only the palm of my hand lost a few layers of skin ...
Nathan was enjoying a rather large chocolate chip cookie and grandpa asked if he could have a bite, to which Nathan replied, "No!" and then promptly offered a bite to Boo instead ...
This is the light rail that runs throughout downtown Houston, $1 per ride, just about anywhere you would like to go!
We took it as close as we could get to the zoo and then jumped off. This statute is of Sam Houston riding his horse into the sunset ...
There is a really nice miniature train that runs through the park, just outside the zoo. Nathan has been waiting to ride this until Grandpa Jones came to see him ... today was the day!
The train ride was a nice long route all through a beautiful park ...
Nia Madelynn and mommy waiting to board the train ...
Grandpa Jones took a lot of good pictures of this little engine and train ... but I am too tired to load all of them tonight!
Oftentimes throughout our busy day, Nathan and Boo would just sit down (anywhere!) and take a much-needed rest! We caught Rachel resting in the stroller once and snapped her picture!
At the zoo today, we saw a ton of animals I had never heard of in my life. Grandpa Jones' pictures turned out really good, so I'm going to show you only just a few ...
I don't know if you could figure out that first animal picture, but it's actually two otters sleeping in a little log. Below their habitat is a tunnel that kids can crawl through ... kids and stuffed bears, and daddys too!
This is a HUGE albino crocodile ... I haven't even shown you the pictures we took of the giant leaf tial gecko, the prehensile-tailed skink, the okapis or the meerkats! I'll have to save that for some other time when I just have nothing much to post about, and then surprise you with bizzare animal photos!
I liked the giraffe very much. They had so many of them the enjoy watching ~ even very young ones! I think God must have such a great sense of humor ~ it's obvious He enjoys creating the oddest animals!
This animal is the komodo dragon, and it is the largest living lizard on earth! Nathan was sticking his tongue out at it! We were at the zoo for about two hours before we got caught in a rain storm that kicked up a lot of wind and quite a bit of cold air! We ran into the gift shop and purchased some really flattering and fashionable ponchos to shelter us from the wetness and wore those on the walk back to the light rail to take us home ... hopefully, no one noticed us!
We enjoyed a great chicken and vegetable crock-pot meal Rachel had prepared for dinner tonight and then, after visiting with Nick and Rachel for awhile, checked back into Peg's hotel! We are exhausted ... doesn't Grandpa Jones look beat?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandpa may look beat, but at least he is still awake. Little Nia has just had her bottle and is completely gone. Which by the way only lasted twenty minutes. Then she was back up with the best of them.

Ruthanne said...

I am enjoying your vacation with none of the tiredness! Thanks for all of the pictures. :)

Sabrina said...

I'm not tired at all! Just kidding. What a fun zoo and a great day. I love the pictures that you are getting of Nia and Nathan- they are so cute! Enjoy zero day in houston before you head to the beach!