Thursday, May 5, 2022

April 23 Tybee Island Lighthouse

Saturday:  About 20 minutes from the city of Savannah is the island of Tybee (if one can word it that way) on which stands a pretty nice lighthouse! It is Georgia's oldest (dating back to 1736--although the top 40' of the tower was blown off during the Civil War, so it underwent repair/renovations afterwards) AND tallest lighthouse (145'). We climbed all 178 stairs to the very tippy top--exhilerating (except I wasn't at all in the best of health for the climb, so we had to rest a LOT).

Here are the best of the photos I took:


These stairs were very deep and not difficult to climb ... about every 25 steps or so, there was a landing (no place to sit, but at least a window out of which you could see the view) and we stopped at almost every landing so that I could catch my breath. I was really feeling quite lousy by this time (physically), not knowing yet that I was carrying around the wretched COVID virus !!!
The view from the top was SO SO wonderful ... and look at this great container ship we got to see coming out of the harbour! I LOVE the big ships so much ...

Which is why I took so many pictures of it!







I love this shot of David -- doesn't he have the best smile ever?!
I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get this shot (below) -- there were lots of folk visiting the lighthouse, but I didn't want ANY of them in my picture ... this one particularly large woman kept walking back and forth right in the line of my camera--I was so glad when she finally made up her mind and MOVED.








Some of these pictures are going to make very NICE cards ...

After walking around the lighthouse grounds, skipping the museum (because I wasn't feeling well), we drove around to find a parking place nearer the beach so that we could walk it for a little bit.
David quoted the verse from Job which talks about God saying, "This far you can come, but no more ..." speaking of the oceans He had just awesomely created.
Such a beautiful place ...





I find it thrilling to visit places I have never seen before ... in another life, I might have made a good "explorer" except for the very real fact that I am a lousy camper and would have made a very pathetic pioneer (no bathrooms? No way!) ...

No comments: