Saturday, February 23, 2019

Our thumbs and other stuff ...

Wednesday, February 20:  I got to pick Brendan up from school early today to take him to an appointment ... AND I even got to sit IN on the appointment, which was very very interesting for me to observe. I learned some important things about dear Brendan through it--but I'm not going to share it on my blog because it's personal and not anybody's business!

As we got in the car, it started to drizzle outside and the roads were already icing up. I told Brendan we were going to have to be super careful driving to my house and I told him I was going to say a prayer: "Lord, please help me to be a safe driver in this ice! And please get us safely to and from my house." Brendan chimed in with a prayer of his own (rather forcefully too!): "Lord! Please melt this ice RIGHT NOW!"  I loved his prayer so much. We DID arrive safely home and then to my dismay, I forgot to give thanks to God for answering my prayer! I thanked Him later, but I should have prayed out loud right as we drove into my driveway.

We had a bunch of homework to accomplish since Brendan was dismissed early from school today ... so we ate a little something (leftover spaghetti and meatballs) and then we got right to work! We were able to get everything done (yes!) and it was only 6:00.
 Brendan asked if we could make some thumbprint pictures tonight. I was able to find my Ed Emberley Thumprint book and we had a ton of fun drawing animals and getting our fingers all inked up.
 I am always happy to see Brendan play this way. He is usually more into building stuff or reading a good story--and those are good things too--but he was so contented to just sit at my table and draw tonight!

We also read part of the EXODUS story out of my beautiful picture book (by Brian Wildsmith, published by Eerdmans). The illustrations are gorgeous and Brendan loves to look at beautiful pictures. We had such a nice time talking about the children of Israel, Moses, the plagues, pharaoh, snakes ... and Egyptian stuff in general. But then it was time to head on back to Brendan's place. We got there at 7:42 (12 minutes late because bedtime is 7:30) but we were not in trouble because of it! I love each Wednesday night with this treasure of a grandson.

No comments: