Saturday, September 18, 2021

September 18 Matey has a new home

Saturday:  Yesterday I drove over to Detroit and spent the night with Ruthanne and Terry--always a pleasure. We played three games of Scrabble (using the 9-tile method) and each of us won a game! We talked about perhaps having one final game to see who could be the champ, but decided against it and went to bed instead. 

Two weeks ago, Ruthanne and Terry drove to Grand Rapids to visit with my brother, David, and also to pick Matey-Bird up and take him over to Shelley and Bob's for a few weeks to free David and I to travel without my concern about Matey being alone here at the Beach House. Matey has "vacationed" over at Shelley's before--she practically has her own aviary (two budgies and a cockatiel). I snapped a quick picture of her work room--this is where she does her art and writing of children's books! I love how she has it so nicely arranged exactly how it works best for her. Shelley has been so blessed to be able to do what she loves full time and be so successful at it.  

This is Bob and MAX. Isn't Max a beautiful bird? Shelley and Bob told me that Max doesn't really care to mix very much with the budgies. They also cautioned me that Max likes to chew on people's toes! 
This pretty green bird is ALEX, who actually flew out of Shelley's house one afternoon and was LOST for a few days. Shelley put up posters everywhere in her neighborhood and Alex was returned unharmed! They now have a whole system at their house about NOT using the front door when the birds are not in their cages.
This pretty blue bird is their newest little bird--GUS. Gus and Matey are sitting on top of Matey's cage. All three budgies have become good friends and look so happy together.
Shelley set up this "playground" in the bathroom because all of the birds like to hang out in front of the nice long mirror there. She says sometimes all three birds spend several hours in here chatting up a storm.
This hanging lampshade is another favorite spot of theirs. It gently sways as they sit on it.
Look how sweet these little birds are together!


My dilemma was this: How do I take Matey home with me now that I have Emma and her cat, Belle, living with me for a few months? Matey has never been with a cat before and Belle has never been with a bird before! I am gone from home quite a bit, and Emma works second shift. How would I keep Matey and Belle apart? Unless I kept Matey in his cage most of the time, he would most certainly be in danger.

I woke up at Ruthanne and Terry's this morning and I just knew I couldn't do it--I couldn't bring Matey back to the Beach House--especially after being so happy with all of his little bird friends--and then lock him in his cage here? Thankfully, Shelley and Bob were very good about welcoming Matey as a more permanent resident. My heart is sad--probably because Matey was really the only pet I have ever had that was truly my own--and he is a nice little fellow. Plus, my little grandkiddos love him too--and Kaity also. But for now, this seems the best option for Matey and for all of us here at the Beach House. 
 

No comments: