Friday, September 10, 2021

September 6 at White Fish Bay

Monday (continued):  We arrived safely at White Fish Bay about an hour after leaving St. Ignace, give or take 15 (!!). There is a marvelous gift shop here, so we shopped around for awhile. David showed me a windbreaker/rain jacket that was selling for only $28.00!! Of course I bought it! I also purchased a cute lighthouse magnet for my refrigerator and a few other trinkets.

We walked along the beach for quite awhile. David was rather sore from our morning bridge walk--one of his toes got rubbed the wrong way in his shoes--so while I went off scavenging for pretty rocks, he sat on a piece of driftwood and enjoyed the scenery.
What an amazingly beautiful place this is! Can you hear the crashing waves? I know!
White Fish Lighthouse is not at all my favorite lighthouse. It just looks ... like a skeleton! I do like the upper part of the lighthouse that looks more normal. I was hoping to make the climb this year--Emma and I had arrived just exactly at 5PM three years ago and they had just shut the gate to the climb. THIS year, David and I had arrived shortly after noon but due to COVID, they did not have the tower open to the public. Pooh.

Look at this gorgeous beach ...
I had a Meijer plastic bag with me to dump my rocks into ...
... so many beautiful colors and interesting shapes!


See David? He is kindly carrying my bag of rocks for me as I continued to load up my camera bag with more.

This is a memorial to several of the men who lost their lives on the Edmond Fitzgerald back in 1975 ...
Shipwreck history is so fascinating, isn't it? My mom really enjoyed reading about it. Perhaps that was why she was so terrified of being out of sight of land on our boat. I don't think the sight of land would have helped these poor fellows that night on the Fitzgerald ...







As we were walking back to the parking lot, the Meijer bag sprang a "leak" and we began dropping rocks as we walked! Oh no! We were actually able to retrieve all of the rocks and carry them to the car. I wish I had thought ahead and brought a nice sturdy bucket (or two) with me. I could have hunted for pretty rocks for hours and hours ... pure JOY.

No comments: