Thursday, September 9, 2021

September 4 at Pere Marquette

Saturday:  Labor Day weekend! The weather was a bit on the cool side and VERY windy. It was quite surprising to find the beach this empty over at Pere Marquette ... but it sure was nice to be here when it wasn't so crowded. We didn't intend to swim because we had checked the temps and warnings beforehand. A RED flag was flying ...


I love the sky when it is overcast and gloomy! It makes for much more interesting pictures--don't you think?




David and I walked and walked ... very glad we had jackets with us! It threatened to rain ... it sprinkled a little bit ... but then it would clear up for awhile!

When it actually began raining, we headed for my car and drove to The Lake House to enjoy a meal together. I totally forgot what we ordered -- probably fish & chips. The Lake House is a nice location--on Lake Muskegon, right at a very nice marina.

By the time we had finished eating, the rain had stopped. David had brought along his new stunt kite. The wind was absolutely perfect to give it a trial run!


David is really quite skilled at this kite flying thing! He could make it do loopty-loops, dive and recover, and even come to a somewhat soft landing! The wind was pretty much sustained at about 20-25 mph, which was perfect for kiting.








David got quite a workout keeping the kite under control. There were a few dogs running the beach and a couple of times, they came very close to interrupting David's recovery of his kite. Look at the waves! Look at the clouds! Isn't it gorgeous?



There were quite a few of wind surfers out and about. I love watching the wind take them into the air. I would love to do this ... that is, if I were young again and not so terribly uncoordinated. 

The rip tides were VISIBLE today ... I would not have gone swimming even if I could.




This is the South Pier Light ... one of my very favorite little lighthouses. I cannot even tell you why! Probably, though, because it is RED (my favorite color) and I love where it is situated. I love this picture of it.



This other light is ALSO red, but it is just so ... ODD looking. STILL ... it IS a lighthouse out on a breakwater on beautiful Lake Michigan. We couldn't walk the breakwater today due to the high waves ...
... but the waves were absolutely amazing to listen to ... thank you, Lord!

No comments: