Tuesday, November 28, 2023

November 25 At the Gardens

Saturday (early afternoon):  I was invited to meet Dylan, Kelly, the kiddos, and Aunt Shannon over at Meijer Gardens to see the international Christmas tree display and the trains, etc. YES! I love being able to be just the grandma that comes along to enjoy rather than the grandma that is responsible for the care and well-being of the grandkids. That's selfish of me in the extreme--but there you have it. I took tons of pictures! It was so much fun to be there with these dear folk.

The ratio of FOUR adults to FOUR children is amazingly easy ... and fun ... and time to be treasured for sure. Here is Dylan with Brendan looking at the trains. Dylan said Brendan and he visited each of the international Christmas trees and enjoyed examining their beautiful and unique ornaments--oh the joy of a one-on-one for Brendan and Dylan.

Little Cal was with his dear mama, and was enthralled by the very cool trains. I just realized I haven't a single picture of the trains. Essentially, the trains are laid out as they are each year with tunnels and overhead bridges, etc. in a historic Grand Rapids setting. They are super cool to see. Cal is all about trains.
We were informed there were actual REINDEER outside at the Farm. Aunt Shannon was already outside with Aidan and Erin, so we met them over at the Farm to pet the reindeer.
Brendan is a friend to all animals. He basically has zero qualms about approaching them or touching them. I think this might have been his first encounter with reindeer. I know it was mine!
Meet Nelson and Lizzy. These are juvenile reindeer. Aren't they darling?

Brendan, gently touching Nelson on his antlers ...



Here are a few close-ups of Nelson ...

Lizzy took a real liking my voice !! Isn't she the sweetest?


This is AIDAN (below). This is as close as he got to the reindeer. He is his own little person, Aidan is. He is cautious in most activities until he feels comfortable with what's going on. This is as comfortable as he got with Nelson and Lizzy.
I love you, Aidan! 
Mr. Cal decided he wanted a closer look at the reindeer until Kelly actually did what he asked her to do!
THEN he did not want to get any closer to Lizzy ...
... he wasn't going to have anything to do with touching her.
I'm usually the same when it comes to animals; except that since I am now officially an OLD lady, many of my former fears have dropped away! I can even (almost) kill a spider now without screaming bloody murder ... AND going out to Deer Tracks Junction and holding baby pigs and goats have been helpful too. In my household of origin (!!) there were NO PETS ALLOWED whatsoever ... nada! So I was never really around any animals, other than over at my friend Laurie's house and her two poodles (Spunky and Misty).
Anyway, this was rather a momentous occasion: my first meeting of any reindeer whatsoever! I liked it very much.

No comments: