Friday, November 10, 2023

November 9 A New Couch!

Thursday:  This is a long story--don't worry, I won't spell out each detail--I promise.

When Emma moved here back in September 2021, Belle moved in too! Belle is Emma's cat and she is darling and truly a sweetheart. However, her claws were a bit rough around here. The denim couch was her favorite scratching place--no matter what we did, she just continued to scratch the living daylights out of the couch. 

I will admit that this bothered me initially. I really liked that couch. It's DENIM, for pity's sake. What was NOT to like about it? When I saw it years ago in the showroom, it yelled out my name practically!

Anyway, long story short--Emma moved out from here a few months ago and Belle too. Emma had always said she would replace the couch for me. But ... I really didn't want her to do that. There was something that just felt wrong about it. First of all, I am her grandmother--NOT her landlord. I also do not NEED to replace the couch! It looked pretty beat up, but it was still a good couch. It was still comfortable!

However, the fact of the matter is, I am an artistic kind of person and a little bit of a perfectionist (!!). I decided I would replace the couch because that's what I WANTED, not that I NEEDED it. Besides, I am no longer financially strapped! I can certainly afford a new couch if I want one.

Anyway, when it came time to "get rid" of the old couch, I couldn't find a single person who wanted it! I offered it FREE to anyone who would come and take it out of here. Good Will was all excited about a free couch and would only charge me $150 to come and pick it up. No way. No way at ALL. I also tried Salvation Army, AmVets, Habitat -- all have the same "small fee" for pick-up. I gave up. The furniture store where I purchased the couch had a pick-up service for about 1/3rd of that price, so Ruthanne, Terry, and I hauled the couch outside to the curb and they came by and picked it up. Yay.

For a few days, I had to do without a couch ...

But ... now the new one is IN! 
And you know something? As we were hauling out the old couch and I took a good look at it, I could see how worn out it was! Not from Belle (other than that one side she scratched up), but just faded and worn and OLD looking. I'm almost glad little Belle scratched it up so that I could replace it with a more solid one. The two couches look very similar--but this one is sturdier and is made much better than the old one. I am very pleased.

No comments: