Monday, August 29, 2016

A special birthday present

Monday, August 22:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!  For my birthday this year, I requested that all FIVE of the grandchildren come to Grand Haven with me for the afternoon. Thankfully, Kelly was willing and very happy to bring Brendan and me and the other four grands out at Grand Haven.

 The air temperature and the water temperature were both 76 degrees! It was very easy to get in and out of the water this way--because I HATE cold water and I HATE trying to get used to cold water and I am a complete wimp about it. How nice on my birthday to be able to swim and play on the beach and run back into the water, etc. without it taking so much ... effort!
 Chris and Matthew made sand castles, roads, canals, forts, and did an excellent job of all of it.
 This was Kaity-girl's first visit to the big lake. She was a little bit intimidated by the waves because even though they were not large, they had a VERY strong pull to them. 
 I loved watching these beautiful children have so much clean good fun together.
 Aren't they so beautiful?!
 Brendan spent most of his time IN the lake, as did Emma. They seemed to enjoy each other's company very much. Cousins are a very wonderful thing to have!
 After we went swimming, we walked to find a good place to eat. While we were walking, one of these two initiated holding hands. I watched them for quite awhile before I actually remembered to raise my camera and snap a shot. I missed some really touching moments on film, but I will remember them in my head for a very long time--such sweetness.
 These two adore each other.
 Brendan called this little area on the boat his "boat bed." This is the cool playground behind the YMCA in Grand Haven. It is a really good place to set kids loose to imagine and explore.
 My Emma ... my dear Emma ... so grown up, so fast. Why, it seems like just a few days ago YOU were a little tike and now you are a young lady. Fourteen is a very big deal. I remember it well.
 Brendan and Kaity played school bus for quite awhile. Brendan insisted Kaity be the bus driver and she very happily obeyed.
 Matthew demonstrated a small zip line to me. He was very good at this and not one bit afraid--probably because it is so much smaller than the one he had ridden over at the zoo.
 After our time at the beach had ended, I was invited over to Dylan and Kelly's. We ordered some pizza and shared it. Brendan and Kelly had made me a chalk birthday message on their front sidewalk but the message did not show up well in the photograph, so I cropped it off.
 Look at this adorable boy. I could just eat him up.
What a beautiful birthday. Thank you, Jesus, for your kindness to my family and for these precious grandchildren. I am SO blessed.

No comments: