Sunday, January 27, 2019

Wee Erin's baptism

Saturday, January 26:  This afternoon at 1:00 was Erin's baptism into the Orthodox Church, Greek Orthodox to be more exact. The young lady who is holding Erin is now a very important person in Erin's life. I forget exactly the term that is used, but she is essentially someone who prays for Erin in special ways.
 I love this happy picture of Dylan and baby Aidan ... what handsome dudes!
 I am not going to try to explain all that happened in these pictures--the simple explanation for my lack of narration will be complete ignorance (even though this is the third Orthodox baptism I have witnessed). It's quite ... detailed and very interesting too. Note Brendan in his altar boy robe that he was very excited to show me.

 The "ceremony" begins at the back of the church where there are a lot of readings from Scripture and  other stuff that I did not understand exactly. Very solemn, though, and I do respect their careful reverence for the Lord in all things.
 Baby Erin has been taken into a side room, stripped of her clothing, wrapped in a beautiful linen blanket, anointed from head to toe with oil, prayed over many times, and then ...



 ... she is very deliberately (and carefully) immersed ... at which time she cried (but she hadn't cried before this point) ... and Aidan, who was sitting on my lap, buried his head on my shoulder and just howled his tears out on behalf of his sister.

 THEN, Erin was dressed in her beautiful baptismal gown and brought back out for I'm pretty sure was her first communion.
 Erin was actually more interested in eating her cute little patten-leather shoe.


 And THEN all children were invited up to encircle Erin with their support and prayers ...

 Candles were lit ...


 Many pictures were being taken by lots of their friends, for which I am glad, because these are not stellar photos in any way. For a lot of the ceremony, Aidan was with me, so I just randomly pointed at the front and clicked, hoping for the best.
 Father Nick and his wife are Erin's godparents ...
 Here are more friends who have  been super supportive of Dylan and Kelly ...


 And here is our angel baby Erin ... quite a momentous day, wee darlin ... you did wonderfully!

No comments: