Friday, September 13, 2019

Brendan-boy

Wednesday, September 11:  It seems like four hours once per week isn't really enough time to spend with you, Brendan. I miss you! I miss the fun we used to have together. I know you are older now. Being seven-and-a-half is a big deal. You are not three or four anymore. But something has happened that has changed so much about you. I can't put my finger on it, but it makes my heart somehow so sad.
I used to wonder if perhaps having two siblings be born two years in a row really impacted you ... unsettled you a bit. Add to that, enrolling full time in school--first Kindergarten and then a First/Second split last year. Last year was a hard one. You seemed so unhappy, so "other" than yourself ... nervous, tense ... 
 I'm hoping that with the cooperative home-school/Trinitas arrangement your folks have arranged for you this year that you will find school less of a negative experience. You have a brilliant mind. You have a vocabulary that is amazing. Your memory for detail is remarkable. You used to have such a ready wit and laughter came easy to you. Perhaps it's just part of ... growing up ... but your grandma is praying for you, dear one--praying that the Lord will do His gracious work in your heart and mind to bring you close to Him, knowing Him--not just with your mind, but with all of your heart and soul and strength.
 You and I read this book together this evening. You did a very good job reading every word. And it was SO wonderful to hear you laugh at some of the funny stuff in the story. You have a beautiful smile, Brendan, and a really nice laugh. You notice curious things in every single picture and point them out to me. I really enjoy that. 
 Last week you asked if we could make an Origami wolf. I couldn't find any wolves in my Origami books, so I went online this week and at least found this wolf HEAD. We made these tonight. It was fun.
 I have tons of Origami paper leftover from when Matthew used to come over and make so many Origami creations. I miss Matthew too.
 We spent some time talking to Mr. Matey here. Our bird really likes to visit with children. He loves to hear their voices and laughter.

I love you, Brendan. I love being your grandma. I love the amazing person God is making you to be.

No comments: