Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas Eve

Friday:  I look forward every year to the candlelight Christmas Eve service at Calvary. There is nothing "fancy" about it--no special program; just a simple reading of the Christmas story from various Scripture passages, with carols sung throughout. It's quiet and always a lovely time.

Emma invited Christopher, Matthew, Kaity and Diana to the service. Christopher turned her down right away, but Matt had said he would come--but then he didn't. However, Diana and Kaity did come. Emma and I arrived about 45 minutes early to save seats ...
About halfway through the service there is usually a story especially for young children--one of the pastors usually reads a book to the kids who have all been invited to join him on the platform. Due to COVID, the children were not summoned to the front. Instead, Pastor Jim invited the entire congregation to an "interactive" children's story. It was a lot of fun. He divided the auditorium up into three parts: to the left were the shepherds, the middle section were the angels, and the section to the right (where we were seated) were the wise men. Pastor then practiced with each section. If during the story the word "sheep" or "shepherd" was mentioned, that section was to stand and say, "Baa-aaa-aaa" and then sit back down. If angels were mentioned, that middle section was supposed to stand, wave their arms about and make an "oo-oo-ing" sound (they looked like ghosts, actually). The wise man section were supposed to stand, rub their chins and say "Hmmmm" if the word "wise man" was in the story. Oh--and if the word "worship" was said, all three sections were to stand, raise their hands above their heads and shout: "Glory hallelujah!" I know it all sounds very silly (and it WAS), but it was also very fun. Kaity enjoyed it hugely.
Before the last song was sung ("Silent Night") pastor went over to the advent wreath, lit the "Christ candle" with his single candle and then walked down to the front row of the auditorium and lit the candle of the person sitting in the aisle seat. That person then turned to their left and lit the candle, and also turned behind and lit that person's candle. Everyone was to follow that pattern and pretty soon, the entire auditorium was alight with candles. It is very beautiful to see! I tried to capture the scene with my phone camera, but failed ... 
The service was only an hour. We attended the 7:30-8:30 service. Afterwards, Diana snapped a few pictures of her girls, and I took a few myself.





I am glad Emma made the effort to invite her family. I would have loved to have Jesse there with me--and I think he would have come had he been invited--but these invites were Emma's and since the split of her parents, things are quite awkward and strained.

Christmas is NOT ruined because of family difficulties or broken hearts, or political unrest, or riches or lack thereof ... Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year because of JESUS ... what an amazing gift He is--never changing, granting forgiveness for all of our sinfulness, pouring His blessing and grace upon our lives, promising His provision and faithfulness. I will admit that I struggled a lot this season to remain focused on Him because my heart has been so sad. But He says for me to come to Him when I am brokenhearted and He will give rest and guidance. He is the only Person who does not disappoint.

"Oh LORD, You have searched me; and You know me. You know when I sit and when I arise. You perceive my thoughts from afar. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me when to stop and rest. You know what I am going to say even before I say it. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to know! Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? If I rise on the wings of the dawn, or settle on the far side of the sea--even there Your hand will hold me, Your right hand will support me."  Psa 139.1-10  
 

No comments: