Friday, December 10, 2021

December 9 KT and I go to a concert!

Thursday:  When I picked Kaity up from Jesse today I found her very anxious, worried that she would not be able to attend the 5th grade concert tonight being performed at the high school theatre. She had only "gotten wind of it" during school that day--afterall, Kaity is a THIRD grader, NOT a fifth grader--so she was not participating in the concert--but she told me all of her friends would be there and a good friend, Sophia, was IN the concert. She just HAD to go to it!

Jesse was a bit skeptical--they had no tickets, and he had no prior notice about this event. I told Kaity we would drive by the high school on the way to my house and see if we could get some information about what was going on tonight. 

We weren't able to find out much definite information over at the high school. But we walked over to the theatre wing where we discovered a white board with a message welcoming all 5th graders and telling them to meet in the costume room down the hall. No "time" was given, no dates, no event information--just that. We checked at the front office, but ... it was dark, locked, and empty of all helpful people. Usually, tickets are required for this type of event ... but we couldn't find anyone who was selling any tickets, much less any certainty that there was an event to sell them for.

We drove over to my house, got on the internet and found absolutely zero helpful information there, either at the website for the elementary school, the high school, their Facebook pages, etc. What WERE we going to do?

Kaity was definite about the time of the concert. She was absolutely certain it was 6:00 tonight. I cooked us up some yummy hot dogs, we had chocolate ice cream for desert, chatted a little bit about her new friend (Sophia evidently rides the bus with Kaity), and read a Mo Willems book (about Piggy playing the trumpet).

We drove over to the high school and arrived to a very full parking lot at about five minutes prior to six o'clock. Sure enough! There WAS a concert about to begin. No tickets were needed! Yes! We were able to find seats, really good ones too, center stage and high enough up to have a good view. Kaity was SO excited. She had her new phone (a hand-me-down from Matt) and decided to video the whole concert--which she did!
I am not certain you can SEE in the above picture, but all during this concert the singers and performers were MASKED. How they could breathe and sing through a mask is beyond me, but they did. The music teacher, who orchestrated the entire concert (Ms. Haight) is a truly upbeat person--there was a LOT of dancing and changing of costumes, instruments, dialogue--it was very fun. Kaity was so pleased to be there.

At one point, before we knew that there was a definite concert tonight and when Kaity was so downcast, I prayed a simple prayer (out loud) that the Lord would help us be able to SEE the concert, if there was in fact a concert tonight, and help us know how to accomplish that. Sadly, I neglected to thank Him (in front of Kaity), or giving us such a nice time tonight. I thanked the Lord afterwards, but I had already taken Kaity back to Jesse before it crossed my mind to do so. We had returned to Jesse's at about 7:30 and since I had UNO cards in my purse, we played three games at their kitchen table before I returned to my house.

Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayers tonight for dear Kaity. I'm so thankful she had such a nice time at the concert and that WE had such a good time together.

No comments: