Wednesday, December 15, 2021

December 14 THE BLESSING

I am sharing the lyrics of this song today because in the past few days, it has meant so much to me and has brought comfort to me. We sang this a week ago last Sunday in church. I had forgotten about this song--I had heard it before--although it is a fairly new song. I believe (but I am not 100% sure) it received a Dove award in 2020 for the best new song of the year. 

There are many reasons that I love this song. Yes--it is repetitious and some folk find our "new" modern Christian songs boring for that reason--or obnoxious--and I agree completely! I haven't copied ALL of the repetition of the lyrics because it isn't necessary to get the impact of the song. Here it is:

THE BLESSING

The Lord bless you

And keep you

Make His face shine upon you

And be gracious to you

The Lord turn His

Face toward you

And give you peace


Amen, amen, amen

Amen, amen, amen


May His favor be upon you

And a thousand generations

And Your family and your children

And their children, and their children

May His favor be upon you

And a thousand generations

And your family and your children

And their children, and their children


May His presence go before you

And behind you, and beside you

All around you, and within you

He is with you, He is with you

In the morning, in the evening

In your coming, and your going

In your weeping, and rejoicing

He is for you, He is for you

He is for you, He is for you


Amen, amen, amen

Amen, amen, amen


Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Chris Brown / Steven Furtick / Cody Carnes / Kari Brooke Jobe

The Blessing lyrics © Worship Together Music, Capitol Cmg Paragon, Kari Jobe Carnes Music, Writers Roof Publishing



It is such a beautiful prayer, isn't it? The tune is really nice too.


I struggle at times with how to pray for my family, for those I love dearest ... but it has also become a very personal prayer for me. I am attempting to memorize Psalm 139 during the Christmas break. I have only accomplished the first 10 verses (and it isn't perfect), but this song speaks to much of the content of what I have committed to memory--the stanza that talks about His presence going before us--"behind you, and beside you, all around you, and within you ... He is with you! In the morning, in the evening, in your coming and your going ..." I love these words so much. 


In Psalm 139, David says that the knowledge that God has searched and KNOWS us, takes note of when we are sitting or when we are up and about going about our business, knows what we are going to say before we even say it, charts out a pathway for us to follow, knows where we are every single minute, closes us in behind and in front, puts His righteous hand (righteous--not abusive) upon us and by verse six of Psalm 139, David says that all of this is TOO much for him to grasp--he just can't do it ... he can't wrap his brain around it--it is "too wonderful"! I agree! But I pray that the Lord will over-ride my inability to believe this and pray that He will give me "the power to understand--as all God's people should--how wide and long and high and deep God's love really is!" (Ephesians 3.18) 


I purchased a version of "The Blessing" (for $1.29!) for my music library (the 8-minute version) and now I can play the song whenever I want to and pray it for anyone who is on my heart--starting with myself and then my children ... and their children ... and their children ... and a thousand generations. 


Amen.  

No comments: