Sunday, October 7, 2018

2018 Art Prize

Friday, October 6:  ArtPrize 10 was almost over and I hadn't seen one single bit of it! Yikes! This HAD to change, so I dedicated several hours on Friday to see what I could see. Naturally, I only saw a small percentage of the entries, but I am really glad I got to see these at least!
This JESUS was among my favorites, for sure. This is a painting by an Armenian Christian, Mher Khachatryan. His Bio states that Jesus is his Savior and best friend. I love this rendition of Jesus, and it is quite close to how I imagine him to have looked--at least I HOPE this is what He looks like. His eyes are kind. His smile so natural. There is warmth about Him.
 This painting was displayed in the Gerald R. Ford Museum. I hope a lot of unbelieving folk came by and really took a close look at JESUS, read the artist's biography, and were provoked to find out more about Him.
 This next painting, ANBAR, was also at the museum. I liked it too, because it was well done, realistic, emotional, sad ...

 This entry was located just outside the GR Ford Museum. The bio states that the grandson (or was it a nephew) encouraged his grandma (or was it his aunt) to show off her paintings of places she had visited in America. The paintings have really nice, interesting perspective. I thought it was well done, and enjoyed looking at the places she had visited.

 "Edge of Eden" painting was displayed in DeVos Center. I loved it because it is a TREE! The shadows are magnificent, the colors too.


 "Mastermind America" was SO fascinating. However, the crowd almost never let up ... so it was difficult to get a good photo of the complete work ...
 I got close enough to get bits and pieces though ...

 ... isn't it amazing?


 These swans were part of a group of paintings, but I am unsure of this is by Huaming Wang or not. I may have photographed the bio frame in the wrong sequence ... but I love the paintings--I LOVE swans, and these are truly beautiful.

 And isn't this portrait SO beautiful?

 All of these entries were in DeVos ...



 The covered walkways between DeVos and the Amway Grand also served as venues for art. "The String Project" was extremely well done. It actually WON the Grand Prize this year too. The photographers went to many countries and photographed people, all holding the same string/rope.
 They wanted to show the diversity and unity of people world-wide. It is a beautiful entry ...



 I thought this LEGO entry was pretty interesting too ...


 These masks (I think there were 180 of them) are all faces of folk who died unjustly in their countries. I did not read the bio very carefully, and I neglected to photograph it--sigh--so that's all I can remember about it!

 This is Phoenix, a truly beautiful 3D work of art.
 Our gorgeous city ...
 "The Phoenix" again ...
 Inside the Grand Rapids Art Museum, there were more ArtPrize entries ...
 Above is my dear friend, Brenda. She met me downtown, and we did two hours together. I love her so much. She has the kindest heart and the wisest counsel I have ever received.
 Below is an art museum piece (NOT an entry to ArtPrize) that the artist wanted to give the feel of what it is like INSIDE a mosque. Yes, I see it! I've been inside the Dome of the Rock on two occasions ...

 Brenda and I walked over to "The Bob" and looked around at some of the entries there.
 I adored this piece. "Give me your tired, your poor huddled masses yearnig to breathe free." "I was a stranger and you took me in." Matthew 25.

 And this entry (below) is a photograph of a sailboat just before sunset. The photographer states the boat was newly painted/polished, and this was what the boats reflection picked up. Amazing!
 This also was a favorite entry (below). "She touched Him." This is the story of the woman with the issue of blood for 12 years ... I love her story.


 Below is NOT a photograph. It is a charcoal drawing. Amazing.
 Oh! This globe (below) was also at The B.O.B. It was incredibly sparkly and beautiful. As you cranked the handle, the globe with turn, and now and again you would get a glimpse of what was INSIDE the globe--a cross with Jesus on it! There was a woman standing with me next to this and she wondered out loud, "WHY would there be a crucifix inside the world?" It was a beautiful piece of art, for sure. 
 And these 3-D dinosaurs! Brendan would have loved them!


 These guys are a charcoal drawing. Mighty excellent!
 Oh, and below is a WELDED dragon ... pretty cool, eh?
Those are the best of my photos from Art Prize. Next year, I'm going to have to get there earlier!

No comments: