Friday, October 26, 2018

Treasured time

Wednesday, October 24:  You know what's super nice? When I pick Brendan up from school every Wednesday, he comes outside with his teacher and class and as soon as he sees me he hollers--"Grandma! That's my grandma! HI, grandma! My grandma is here!" He uses his loudest voice too. I love it.
 We didn't have any unusual plans for our afternoon/evening; but I had gone to the library earlier in the day and checked out about two dozen good books to read with the kids. Brendan LOVES a good story. We read so many good ones! Brendan was more interested in the books than he was building his own layout with out new train stuff.
 Below, Brendan is holding one of our favorites. Since it is an Almanac, we did not get through the entire book by any means. But we sure had fun reading and learning about the animals in "Jack Hanna's Awesome Animal Almanac, Everything You've Ever Wanted to know from Aardvarks to Zebras." What was very surprising to me was HOW MUCH Brendan already knew about the oddest animals, some I had never heard of in all my life! He told me he learns a bunch from watching Octonauts on Kids TV. 
 Our best best favorite book(s) of the night, though, were two by John and Jen Churchman. "Sweet Pea and Friends: The Sheep Over" and another one, "Brave Little Finn." These books are SO darling. The writers have photographed their beautiful lambs and sheep dogs, etc. on their gorgeous Vermont farm and have made up stories (based on true circumstances) and published them. The photography is amazing and the stories are just darling. PLUS, they have a very nice website listed in the books which we accessed on my computer and saw a video about ALL the animals we were reading about. This was very cool to Brendan.
 Look at Brendan's HUGE smile! We felt like we actually KNEW Sweet Pea, Finn, Gracie, etc. just by watching the video of them.
 I love this little boy so much. He has such an interesting mind and the most darling lisp when he talks ... and he almost NEVER stops talking!
We ended with cookies and milk, naturally, and then it was time to drive back to Brendan's ...

No comments: