Thursday, December 31, 2020

December 31 Goodbye 2020

Thursday:  I haven't quite wrapped my head around it being the last day of 2020. It's been such a strange year. Kaity and I were talking about it being the last day of the year and she told me she liked 2020 very much! I guess it is reassuring to hear a young child say that--perhaps the realization of the terrible stuff that went on in the world this year didn't quite reach to Kaity's age. Children are pretty resilient ... but still. 

I picked Kaity up from Jesse today at 3:00. She was so excited to show me her "loft" bed! I should have taken a picture of it to post here, but I'll do that yet this week some time. She is so pleased to have a ladder up to her bed and she has it all set with her favorite stuffed animals and everything. Kaity is a very dear little person.

Kaity and I played a few games tonight. We played a round of Headbanz, which is always fun. Matey kept close by as we played. He was trying to get the little minute timer and knock it onto the floor--that was HIS game while we played the REAL game. 
We also played two games of UNO, both of which I won--an unusual occurrence around here! We did a few puzzles together in the playroom. We ate our usual hotdog meal, and for awhile, we sat at my desk playing with Silly Putty while watching "Home Alone" and laughing together.
We had a lot of fun with Matey-Bird tonight too. He is a sweetie. 

SO ... 2020 is over. One year ago ... I never would have come close to conjuring up a year like this one was. I was somewhat prepared for the political upheaval being that it was an election year--but I hadn't any idea it would be THIS ... dark ... politically. And COVID knocked everyone off their feet on so many levels. I truly don't know who to believe about much of it anymore, so I try not to worry and I try to follow the guidelines and use kindness with people who disagree with me or with others ... 

I also did not expect to have surgery this year. I am relieved everything went so well and thankful for good health. I know that can change with my next breath ... as it did for so many this year. 

I'm thankful for what the Lord taught me through Monday Night Bible Study and our time in Daniel during the fall semester. Daniel was so faithful. Also, I've really been challenged by our study in Revelation at Calvary. I'm trying to be more careful, thoughtful at least, about abiding in Christ--not self-satisfied, but seeking to know Him and by known BY Him throughout the hours of my everyday life. This is super hard for me. I tend to just "do Jesus" in the morning during my time of study, which I love very much. But He has invited me into a relationship with Him that is more than that--I want to learn more about what that means--how to stay connected throughout my hours and minutes, seeking His wisdom and His ways, asking Him for His opinions and for help in making decisions, sharing my life with Him in meaningful ways. 

The words to this song by Steve Green have been going through my head this week:

Oh, I want to know You more!
Deep within my soul I want to know You
Oh, I want to know You
To feel Your Heart and know Your Mind
Looking in Your eyes stirs up within me
Cries that say I want to know You
Oh, I want to know You more

This is my prayer this New Year's Eve. 

 

No comments: