Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Mini-Vacation: The Lower Falls and other adventures

Thursday, August 23:  Just after noon.  We left Cheboygan at 10:30 or so, and hoped we would be to Tahquamenon by noon; however, one little missed fork in the road waylaid us to the middle of nowhere and we lost perhaps 35 or 40 minutes because of having to turn around and regain our bearings! But then we arrived in Paradise, aptly named!
These are the lower Tahquamenon Falls. I was looking at one of those cool directional maps they have in state parks and noticed there was an island that boasted great sites of all four lower falls ... but how to get to the island? There was NO bridge! 
We walked for a little bit, Emma concluding there was NO WAY onto the island and we should just forget it (Emma!) but then I saw a little turn in the hiking path that led down a few steps, through some trees, and onto a landing ... with ROW BOATS and CANOES!

Yes!

I told Emma we were going to the island! Emma:  "Have you ever rowed a boat, Grandma?!" (Asked rather incredulously). Me:  "Well, I rowed a canoe once, about 49 years ago, flipped it, and lost everything down the river--that's about the entire experience I've had with rowing, outside of the kayak I tried to row with Gayla one year and kept going about in circles." Emma was not encouraged by my answer and declared she wasn't going anywhere with me in a boat that had to be rowed!

Oh, you of little faith, Emma Joy! :)

I read and signed the dotted line, paid $7 each and forced her into the rowboat. I was the first to row. Emma announced pretty soon after that I was a complete flop and SHE would do the rowing. So she did!

 I think she found out it was harder than it looked! But we did make it across the lagoon and safely to the little island--however, the guys who rented us the row boat did zoom out in a motorized canoe and push us to shore and help us dock. We thought that part was hilarious. In fact, on the drive home very late that night, we laughed until we cried about this entire boat episode. FUN.


 When we got the boat ashore, we followed 1/2 mile pathway around the island. There were signs everywhere: "Please stay on designated paths. Dangerous river currents, etc."  Clearly, about 859 other people could not read.
 I've cropped out all the people (strangers) from as many pictures as I could. Why on earth would I want pictures of the lower falls with complete strangers in them? I ask you!
 It is CRAZY beautiful here. Eye candy was abundant. I was ecstatic. I think Emma liked it too.

 For the most part, we did stay on the pathways. There were just a couple of exceptions, but we never once got directly into the river. Some folk were in it up to their necks!


 I'm going to have to do something with these pictures ... cards aplenty I'm thinking!




 We had a wonderful hike around the little island ... avoiding the strangers as much as possible--it's not that we didn't want to interact, but WHEN on earth am I going to get back here to take pictures? Emma was good with this plan. 



 Emma is a very good travel companion. I was so thankful she was with me. She is really fun to be with, and I love her so much.
 We got back to our beached boat and managed to push it back into the lagoon and row it back to the opposite shore! Miracles never cease!



I will remember this always ... the adventure ... the discovery ... the beauty ... God's blessings abounding with each step of the way. Our God is an AWESOME God.

No comments: