Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Mini-Vacation: White Fish Point

Thursday, August 23:  Late afternoon.  I believe it was about 5:05 when we arrived out at the point. The tours had closed at 5:00!!! Rats. However, the grounds were opened until 5:30 as well as the gift shop (yes!) and the out-buildings. That certainly did not give us much time here.
I had used up 3GB of photo cards for my Cannon and was left with zero ... just my phone! I'm pretty lousy at phone photography, but this was the best I could do under the circumstance. I did erase 4 photos from one of my cards so that I could focus and take 4 camera pics--although I'm unsure now if any that I have posted here are actually from my camera. 
 So this is White Fish Point! The infamous site of the Edmund Fitzgerald's demise. Sad, sad piece of history--1975--and I remember it well. She was a beautiful ship. All hands were lost at sea in that terrible November storm.


 Here is a small monument to the Fitzgerald.

 The coastline up here, Lake Superior, is stunning.
 And another small memorial listing all on board who perished.
 Emma was pretty beat out by this time--I had dragged her too many places for one day I think! She hung in there, though, for the drive home--which was very important!

 Below is the keeper's house turned into a really delightful gift shop. We purchased quite a few trinkets there to treasure.























What a beautiful place! I MUST return soon ... no more 40 years waiting again!

PS   Our drive home began from this point at approximately 6:15 pm -- after I had walked up and down the beach taking every single angle I could possibly get of the lighthouse with my phone camera. We arrived in Mackinac City at 7:45--we did not get lost even once! We stopped in Mackinac because I had to pick up some fudge to bring home to my LOGOS class, we needed to gas up, and we were supposed to find a place to eat dinner. We never did eat dinner there, but got on the road at about 8:30 pm. Emma began recounting our trip bit by bit, each and every funny thing that happened. We ended up laughing so hard we were screaming! It was so much fun. We ended up eating in Lake City and I dropped Emma off at her house at about 12:40 am! What a wonderful time we had. Thanks so much, Jesus, for this dear granddaughter and for this trip we were able to share together.

No comments: