Sunday, November 3, 2019

Saturday night, November 2:  Emma and I watched "Ben Hur" (2016) on Amazon Prime (I had saved it for when Emma could watch it with me) and really enjoyed the story together. WHen I had watched the trailer for this movie a few weeks' back, I knew it would be too intense for me to watch ALONE ... so I waited for a night when Emma could watch it with me. Emma has a way of diffusing my tension--she doesn't always succeed in preventing a scream from my mouth, but it always seems to help to have her nearby. What was especially "cool" about the movie, is that Emma and I have been studying "the armor of God" from Ephesians 6 the last few weeks--and every single piece of armor we've been studying showed up in the movie, quite explicitly, and it visualized everything for us really well. I love watching movies with Emma. 

Since it was time to FALL back (daylight's savings), we got to enjoy an extra hour Saturday night. We were pretty careful to use it for sleep, since both of us were quite tired from our week.

The following pictures are of Emma entertaining Matey on the piano (see Matey perched on the music holder?)


 Matey is very partial to Emma. For some reason, he allows her all kinds of liberty with him that he does NOT allow with me. Example: Usually, Emma just puts her hand in the cage and Matey will jump right on her finger and let her take him out and do whatever she chooses! Matey rarely allows me that freedom! I'm hoping he will do it with me SOME day, but I'm not putting any pressure on him.


 Emma and I had many good talks this weekend. I'm so thankful for her, and I am glad she shares the things that are on her heart. I can't put into words how much I love this dear child (yes!! you ARE a child, Emma ... almost a woman, almost grown up ... but not quite). God clearly has a hand on Emma's life. I pray that she will continue to seek Him and to follow Him carefully as she lives her life.
 Emma has been coloring illustrations to go along with our study on "the armor of God", or as it is described in other passages, "the armor of LIGHT." Two weeks ago, we talked about the "belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, and the shoes of the Gospel of peace." Her illustration (below) is related to the Gospel of Peace. How kind of God to make peace with us, who could care less about Him! How wonderful is His amazing grace!
This week we studied the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, along with praying in the Spirit. I have learned a lot from this time in God's Word and hope that I remember to use these weapons to fight the good fight of faith the rest of my days!

No comments: