Saturday, April 18, 2020

April 18

Saturday:  So yes ... it's just Matey and me ... me and Matey ... and I WILL say, this is a cute little bird--yes, he is annoying--but there are ways to get around his annoyances i.e. when I am eating and he continually jumps on the side of my plate and freely samples my food! Well, I usually give him little tastes (I'm not selfish) but that's never quite good enough for him. NO. He has to sit right on my plate and eat with me, which of course, I don't tolerate. So I have to trick him by taking his favorite straw (see below) and drop it on the floor rather dramatically so that it makes a little bounce ...
 and he's on it like it's the best frisbee (or tennis ball) he has ever seen. He will pick it up in his beak and run around with it in circles (which is hysterical to watch) ...
 but sometimes even his favorite toy doesn't keep him out of my food, so I have to take the straw ...
 to a completely different room of the house and then close him in that room so that I can eat in peace.
I'm not complaining, Matey, truly I'm not. 

I was outside after lunch, early afternoon, blowing leaves and seeds out of my driveway when suddenly I heard someone calling to me. I shut of the blower to see a person motioning to me--the person had a very large dog who was actually pulling him forcefully ... anyway, this "neighbor" alerted me to the fact that another neighbor, Harvey, had taken a fall and was laying on the side of the road caddy-corner to my house! The guy with the dog couldn't stop to help Harvey because his dog is too unruly and huge. Poor Harvey had caught his foot on the edge of the road evidently and tripped and landed right on his face. I didn't recognize him at first (because he was laying face down). Thankfully, his glasses were intact and it didn't seem that he had anything broken on his body--his nose was bleeding. The guy with the dog ran home and put his dog away, and then came back. Harvey had his phone on him but did not want us to call 911. I ran and got him a glass of water and a tissue for the blood. We sat down there and questioned him and had him rest. Lorraine, another neighbor who is 86, took care of her elderly demented husband for the last 15 years of his life, has herself fought and won 3 trials of cancer, and is just a wonderful lady ... she walked over (Harvey lives directly across the street from her) to help as well. We asked if he had a walker and he said he had one in his garage. Lorraine and I went and fetched it. We had Harvey slowly sit up where he drank some water and rested for a bit before we stood him up and with his walker, assisted him to his house. Evidently, Harvey's wife has Alzheimer's and would not have been very helpful in assisting him home. But we made sure he got inside his house safely. It was quite an experience ... and made me glad that I was outside at the time and could at least be somewhat helpful. 

No comments: