Monday, March 15, 2021

March 13 Sight Words Pizza

Saturday:  Kaity and I had a nice afternoon together. We played a brand NEW game (from the library) called "Sight Words Pizza". The cool thing about this game is that it is ALL ABOUT READING!!! As for myself, I was NOT a player in this game because I told Kaity it would not be fair for me to compete with her in a reading game. Since this is a 4-player game, we used my stuffed sheep (Sara), Kaity's new stuffed kitty (Sassy) and decided to just make it a 3-player game! 


Oops! These next two pictures are of Kaity on the side of Diana's house showing me her new roller skates that convert into in-line skates, with accompanying kitty helmet and protective pads. This first picture is SO typical Kaity ... isn't she darling?

But back to our game ... you see, Kaity is not a strong reader. This bothers her and she will admit it to me sometimes ... and she is rather forlorn about it, but not enough to work at it and improve! So I kind of have to "trick" her into reading exercises by playing games. You see, I was pretending that Sassy and Sara were really struggling readers ... Kaity was SO into helping them learn their words! Look at her expression (below) ... she kills me.
So the point of the game was to spin the spinner and pick the selected "topping" for one of your four slices of pizza. If you gained three of one kind of topping on one slice of pizza, you then got to "eat" that slice of pizza IF you could complete the three challenges on the back on the pizza slice! 
This is a very cool game actually. Each "topping" has a sight word written on the reverse side. In order to be able to take that topping and put it on your pizza, you have to be able to read out loud that sight word. Poor Sassy and Sara really struggled, but Kaity was a huge help to them and she was so proud of herself. 
At first, I was reading the CHALLENGES on the back of the pizza slice--but within a short time, Kaity INSISTED on being the reader. Some of the challenges were very cool, such as: "Choose one of your toppings and use that word in a complete sentence." Kaity was great at it! One time, she used all THREE of her sight words in ONE sentence! WAY TO GO, KAITY!

We played this game for almost 30 minutes! It was really fun. We never did finish the game because ... suddenly, Kaity was FINISHED and I know better than to force her into something she is FINISHED with! 

I was super proud of you playing this game, Kaity! You ARE learning to read. You CAN do it!

No comments: