Friday, March 26, 2021

March 25 If it's too good to be true ...

Thursday:  For my own good, I just have to document a really STUPID thing I did today ... for future reference and to hopefully avoid doing anything so moronic again. 

I was "surfing" Facebook this morning and an ad popped up for a super sale of LEGOS--88% off! "WHAT?!?, (I said to myself!) I need to check this out!" So I clicked onto the site and found AMAZING prices on all kinds of epic LEGO sets. Oh.my.goodness. My greedy eyes browsed through the pages and pages of great deals and I about went crazy. 

Now ... just to explain: I LOVE LEGOS and so do the grandchildren. I've been looking for a good price on just a decent set of extra bricks and wheels to go with the sets I already have--for "free" building--not with plans or anything. The kiddos like to do this--make up their own buildings, etc. So I've been looking for a good deal on this. On this site, I could get 1500 bricks that included wheels and cool parts, all for $11.99 instead of the usual $49.99! So naturally, I purchased that set. When I got to the check-out, it was going to be $15 to ship it--sigh--but I figured it was STILL worth it. 

And then I got to thinking ... I had seen a very very VERY cool Duplo set on that same advertisement--it had "pipes" and "tubes" and it showed you how to make funny animals--how FUN would THAT be? So I ordered it TOO! Yes. I did. Yes, I ordered that one too! And I got up from my desk chair and I'm flying around the house with a HUGE smile on my face thinking about how much fun the kiddos (okay.okay. I would have fun too) would have with these toys.

And THEN I got greedy. And it's probably a good thing. Because I decided I would check out the site itself and not go through Facebook to do it. I googled the site and instead of bringing me there, I got all kinds of WARNINGS from folk who HAD gone to the site about identity theft and fraud.

I can't describe to you the sinking of my heart ... but sank it did ... right down to the depths of the deepest sea.

Pooh.

No shipment will be arriving with these great toys. Zero.

But more than that ... I could be in BIG FAT trouble with my credit card information that I so freely gave out to these crooks.

I threw on my clothes, grabbed my purse and was at the credit union up the street in about 5 minutes. They highly advised me to cancel my credit card right then and there--which I did. They shreaded it and closed it out. SIGH. They issued me a new one with totally different numbers, but I can't use it until the next business day--so much for grocery shopping today. 

SO ... the moral of this story IS ... If it is too good to be true ... IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE (you moron).

No comments: