Sunday, July 1, 2018

A model train Open House

Saturday, June 30:  The LAST day of June! About a week ago, the other grand-kiddos and I were over here at Dwight Lidell Park (Comstock Park, MI) and as we were exploring around the playground and trails and creek, we walked over to the old train depot. I was telling Kaity that inside this building were MODELS of trains. Kaity was not one bit intrigued .... !!

 But thankfully, I noticed a sign on the outside of the building ...

 ... announcing an open house this coming Saturday (today!) and I immediately thought of this little train-lover and marked it off in the calendar of my brain. 
 We arrived a tiny bit before opening (11am) so we wandered down to the creek where we could see the old bridge (beautiful). Brendan and I talked a lot about what trains still use this bridge (although my knowledge was VERY small on this score) ...
 Isn't it a beautiful little spot? I'd quite forgotten about it. I need to come visit it often, for I am sure each season changes it dramatically.




 I know these photos look repetitive, but I LOVE the shadows, reflections, color ... SO pretty.

 We went inside at 11 and were greeted by several enthusiastic model train gentleman, who were in the middle of getting trains to run. It is a two-tiered layout and most of the "action" was going on in the upper tier, out of the eyesight of this longing little boy ... he was quite patient about it and walked all around the layout seeing what he could see.

 But when he actually HEARD the chug-chug-chug of a train coming (above his head), he about had a fit ... He got up on a small stool (very small), got up on his tiptoes, and caught a fleeting glimpse of the Pere Marquette passing by ...

 I don't have pictures of it, but much of the time Brendan was up on my back (ouch) so that he could properly SEE the trains moving ...



 There was a nice two-stepped stool in one area which Brendan enjoyed very much. I was glad to get him off my back for a little while!

 Brendan was telling me ALL about the Pere Marquette. We've seen the actual engine over at Grand Haven. Brendan loves it.
 Brendan LOVED this train clock too! It is VERY nice!
 We met several other interesting children: Otto, Arland, Spencer ...



 At one point, Brendan was handed a control to make the action happen, but was basically told to "keep that arrow up at the top nice and straight" (in other words, DO NOT mess with the control), so he basically was just carrying it around with him looking somewhat bewildered that he couldn't touch it. That's OK. We had fun anyway. I love just being with Brendan ... anywhere we are together is just fine with me.

No comments: