Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Friday that changed the world

Good Friday, April 19:  
"Jesus paid it all;
all to Him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain;
He washed it white as snow."
When I was growing up--way back when--our family, my church--my whole "religious" upbringing, did NOT observe or give any significance to "Good Friday." After all, I am from Detroit! For some reason, Evangelicals there took offense to and reacted against every thing that could possibly be related to the way Catholics worshiped. But that's another story! 

I just want to say that I am so thankful for the observance, remembrance, of this day in history that changed the world. It would probably be better named TERRIBLE Friday, or BLACK Friday ... because it was the darkest day in history, planned by God Almighty before He created the universe. It was HIS PLAN to reconcile us to Himself through the blood of His only Son. Otherwise ... all would be lost! The huge gulf, cavern, abyss that was between me and God had to be bridged. Sin had to be paid for in order to bring me to my Holy Father.
On the platform at Calvary Church
Good Friday, April 19, 2019
Jesus was willing (though it cost Him everything) to be our sacrifice, and take every sin of everyone upon His body and be completely cursed by God for us! It's difficult for me to understand the WHY of all of this, but I love that it is TRUE, this story of His amazing love. 

Emma and I worshipped last night at the service at Calvary. We listened to the Scripture readings of Christ's last week here on earth and all that happened that night that He was betrayed and taken away. We sang beautiful redemption songs, songs of His suffering, music of His rescue for us. It was a precious time. To have Emma there with me was such a gift, such a blessing. I feel overwhelmed by His love. I want to remember this forever. 

PS  Emma and I got a bonus gift on our drive back to her house after the service. I'm not exaggerating either ... THE MOST HUGE sun going down that I have ever laid eyes on in my 65.5 years. It was glowing with rings around it ... huge ... I've never seen anything like it before in my life. We were stunned by it's beauty and the magnitude! Perhaps tonight ... we'll have a repeat? If so, we are headed to the lake with a camera! No pictures of this phenomenal sunset last night--we were driving, the trees and buildings were blocking our view ... BUT we did SEE it with our own eyes. I will remember it always.

No comments: