Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A First for Mother's Day

Mother's Day, 2019:  For the first time in my 65-year history, Mother's Day happened ... without my mother! For many in my situation, this would be a sad realization and perhaps provoke a lot of depression. I think the only sadness I felt was the fact that I was NOT SAD about my mom not being here.

I have been struggling with a head cold, or seasonal allergies, or both ... Sunday morning, my nose was running like crazy and my head was throbbing. I decided to ... REST ... and not even get out of my PJ's! It was a good decision. I watched/listened/joined Calvary on-line and was blessed to hear a Mother's Day message on God's motherly love for us. We women are made in God's image, who is Spirit (UN-gendered). We studied from Isaiah 49:13-18. Verse 15 says: "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I WILL NOT FORGET YOU! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands ..."  Isaiah has been an incredible book to study. God's mercy and compassion--His grace and goodness are SO revealed in this beautiful book.

And then MONDAY, after being with Aidan Paul (next post), I joined his complete family over at a little restaurant for Mexican! I received many huge smiles from baby Erin AND this SO sweet gift from Brendan. He was so pleased to present them to me. Ah. I can't even explain the depth of love ... his beautiful little soul. I have made a "thank-you" card from photos I shot of the flowers and his dear card. I slipped the card in the mail to him today! Mother's Day, however, is NOT about grandma's ... it IS about moms! I AM a mom, one who has a lot of regret and deep sadness over what cannot be changed. Thankful for forgiveness and love from my kiddos in spite of my poor choices that impacted their lives. Looking forward to heaven, where regret will be replaced with rejoicing and reconciliation.

No comments: